Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hawaii Five-O Season 4 Episode 2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 743Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bluejay2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As a stamp collector, my eyes naturally focus on these tiny perforated pieces of paper anywhere in the community, or on television. Here I am sharing some cropped screenshots from the Hawaii Five-O television series. Specifically, these are from season four (1971), episode two.

32:11 (32 minutes, 11 seconds into the show)
A box containing several stamps is visible. At least four are the 6¢ dark blue grey Eisenhower stamps. A fifth stamp is upside down, thus limiting our ability to identify it.

32:15 (32 minutes, 15 seconds into the show)
The woman removes a stamp from the box. I cannot definitively determine which stamp she took. It appears to be one of the 6¢ dark blue grey stamps.

32:20 (32 minutes, 20 seconds into the show)
The woman applies an 8¢ deep claret Eisenhower stamp to the envelope.

41:55 (41 minutes, 55 seconds into the show)
The addressed recipient holds the canceled envelope in his hand. It is franked with a 6¢ dark blue grey Eisenhower stamp.

Oops, the stamp's value decreased by 2¢ while in transit.

Context: postal rates increased from 6¢ to 8¢ on 16 May 1971. This episode of Hawaii Five-O originally aired on 21 September 1971.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
violating continuity ….

Book 'em Danno.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36235 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have yet to see L'École des facteurs (Jacques Tati)
But last week saw
Jour de fête (The Big Day) is a 1949 French comedy film starring Jacques Tati in his feature film directorial debut as an inept and easily distracted mailman in a backward French village. Shot largely in and around Sainte-Sévère-sur-Indre, where Tati had lived during the Occupation, most of the actors were unknown and villagers served as extras.

If Gen Y members want a look at life in the gentle 1950's
this is it. Very nostalgic for Moi.

Edited by rod222 - 04/22/2022 10:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2897 Posts
Posted 04/23/2022   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In the Hawaii Five-0 episode, while the same writer wrote both addresses, the writing is different on each version. Did somebody lose (or maybe mail) the first prop letter? The last image shows the correct zip code(!) but no street address which it should have had. Nyah.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6677 Posts
Posted 04/23/2022   02:34 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up the BFI's Jacques Tati Collection for around a tenner on eBay - Playtime and Mon Oncle are my favourites.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bluejay2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Random other screenshots of postage stamps in Hawaii Five-O.

Season 5 Episode 17: My compliments to the prop person who made this cover for a kidnapper's letter. It depicts a then 8-year-old Kennedy stamp (Scott #1246) and 24-year-old Gordon Low stamp (Scott #974).

Season 5 Episode 16: Air mail stamp (Scott #C78-C82) on a cover between Hawaiian law enforcement agencies.
Valued Member
101 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your Hawaii Five O post could actually be put into a general topic thread of stamps highlighted in film and TV. Probably one of the the best films that surprises the viewer that the whole thing is centered around philately is the great film with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, "Charade" from 1963. Highly recommend viewing to cineastes and philatelists.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2131 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the great film with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn, "Charade" from 1963

I watched this last week for the first time.

Highly recommended
Author of "The De La Rue Stamps of NSW" and "They Carried The Mails: The Conveyance of Post Office Mail in the Central West of NSW in the 19th Century"
Valued Member
101 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby glad you liked it. Charade was also special for being Cary Grant's last film. He retired afterwards.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36235 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cary Grant's last film.

The one and only, original, "Mr Cool"

I must have seen "To catch a thief" when very young,
I had nightmares for years after, with him climbing above the tiled rooftops.

I have often observed (for me) unforgettable men and women,
have a lot to do with their voice and diction.

Cary Grant's was one in a million,
alongside Phil Liggot, (Cycling commentator) John Lennon, Boris Karloff, Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn et al.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1342 Posts
Posted 09/01/2022   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charade has always been a favorite film for me. Had not realized that it was Grant's last. Audrey Hepburn was another favorite. As, of course, are stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1775 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Charade was Cary Grant's third last film (1963). He appeared in Mother Goose with Leslie Caron in 1964, and in Walk, Don't Run with Samantha Eggar in 1966, which was definitely his last film role.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 743Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05