Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Kind Of Postmark Is This?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 383Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
65 Posts
Posted 04/30/2022   02:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add grisuhh62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

First of all, I will show the postmark in question:

It is on this cover:

I think it is not a machine cancel because the four bars on the stamp are not horizontally in line with the postmark. At least that is how I see it.
The letters "R.F.D." in the first row are new to me and I do not know what they mean.
I hope someone here can give some information about this postmark. Also to literature, in which I could find something about it.

Oh yes: still the back of the letter:

Have a nice weekend!

Juergen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6751 Posts
Posted 04/30/2022   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RFD is abbreviation for Rural Free Delivery.

For examples of other covers, see http://goscf.com/t/15819
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by khj - 04/30/2022 03:39 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 04/30/2022   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a great cover. The railroad cancels are fantastic along with the stamp combo. Seems like the 2 cent stamp was paying homage to the railways? Great history to the rail lines involved including an owner of the Island Pond Railway in VT being lost on the Titanic. Where may I ask did you find this?
Valued Member
Germany
65 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rogdcam
thank you for your "praise" for this cover!
I bought this cover April 7, 2022 at eBay.com - price: medium in my opinion (maybe cheap?). I actually bought it because of the "Special Delivery" stamp. And am not so happy because the right stamp is cut.

Juergen
Valued Member
Germany
65 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to add: I also bought it because of the "Clerk Dater" on the back.
Valued Member
Germany
65 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@khj
thanks for the explanation of the abbreviation. And for the link to the other threat. Very fine covers!
Of course, I immediately looked for information and quickly found it. This service was completely unknown to me until now.

It seems to me that I was wrong in thinking that this was not a machine stamp. I have the booklet/book by Hanmer on the early machine stamps. This one is not found there exactly. However, I have found similar postmarks from "Columbia" there (especially similar to #27). Are these postmarks really (at least to some extent) machine postmarks? And from the machines of "Columbia"? I know that this publication does not list quite a lot of postmarks (some of which I own).
So: machine postmarks - yes/no? "Columbia"? And is there any literature, or even cataloging, on these RFD postmarks? I'm still interested in that.

Have a nice Sunday!

Juergen
Pillar Of The Community
4358 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your R.F.D. postmark is made by a handstamp device, not a machine.

Harold C. Richow's "Encyclopedia of R.F.D. Cancels" is a good place to start. The listings of markings are incomplete, but he does list Danvers. You mark is the standard type. Quite common.

Add: In addition to Russ Hanmer's "A Collector's Guide to U.S. Machine Postmarks 1871-1925", you may also find useful: Richard Helbock's "Postmarks on Postcards"
Edited by John Becker - 05/01/2022 09:39 am
Valued Member
Germany
65 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@John Becker,
thanks for the hint it's a handstamp device.

Also, thanks for the references to the two publications. I searched for the one by Richow and found several. I suspect it will bring me more information that I am looking for and can use. Of course, all offerings from the US. So: high shipping costs. But I already know that.
I think I will choose the cheapest one and then order it.
By the way: there is a "2nd Edition" - I don't know if you know it.
Thanks again for the fast and good help!

Juergen
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05