Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help About 1 Kopeek 1889-Diferent Paper.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 380Next Topic  
Valued Member

Bulgaria
7 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add post_pe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello .
Can someone please help, with information about the paper types used in 1889 and 1902 kopeek issue.
To be more specific it's an one kopeek stamp in my collection that puzzled me with it's paper.
It has many horizontal lines on it's back. It seems that other stamps from the same issue, that I have looked don't have this feather.
The paper in other stamps is flat .
I would be very grateful if someone gives his opinion on this matter.
For photos please look here :
***Link removed, please upload images here - Mod***

Regards,
post_pe

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35534 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp in question
Perhaps it is horizontally laid paper?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/03/2022 05:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3146 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello post_pe,

Here are some stamps from the Russian Post Offices in the Turkish Empire showing horizontally laid paper (horizontal lines) from 1900, vertically laid paper (vertical lines) from 1904 and wove paper (no lines) from 1910:

The stamps are not all the same design but I hope the idea is clear.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The simple answer is that the 1889-1992 issues are on horizontally laid paper, 1902-1905 issues on vertically laid paper and 1909-1912 issues on wove paper. The one kopeck A10 design only exists in the first two paper types but A11 designs exist in all three types.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
7 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
rod222,classic paper,nigelc,rodcam. Thank you for your help ! My question was more about the structure of the paper it self. Offcourse,l fully agree with the opinions that were posted .
It's most probably a horizontal layed paper as you have pointed me .
I understand that many different papers were used for preparing those issues.
But l can't understand something else.
The stamp in question has the the same horizontal lines as shown on the image above.
I think there all part of the watermark of the stamp, but when l looked the paper on the back of other stamps in my collection with the same horizontal or vertical lines the paper look's me flat .
The stamp from one kopeek has an additional horizontal lines that are more visible, when you look the stamp closer. They make the surfaces of the back a bit little different than other stamps.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35534 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post_pe
Just in case you are not aware.
"Laid paper" is a confusing term, all it indicates, is that the wires on the sieve
that drains the pulp, have wires noticeably larger in the horizontal, or vertical
planes.
It has nothing to do with the paper itself, which can differ from each paper maker
At least, that is how I understand it.

Wove paper is the same but the sieve lacks the stronger wires as the before mentioned.

Watermarks (generally) found in postage stamps, are impressed into the damp pulp, via a cylindrical device with design glyphs (wmks) soldered on to the cylinder face. This device called the "dandy roll"
Edited by rod222 - 05/04/2022 06:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2853 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post_pe, it would really be useful if you would post the images again on this site.

Everyone else, you clearly have not seen the original image. It is in reflected light and shows fine horizontal ribbing in the paper, not the laid lines in the paper. So then, is ribbed paper a variety in this issue? Or could it have transferred from the cover it was on, which can happen? Nothing I have of the issue shows ribbed paper.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
7 Posts
Posted 05/05/2022   04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello to all,
I would like to apologize, for confusing my question in my post.
The information that rod222 give is important , but l tink that the post concerns mainly the process of preparing the watermark, not the paper on which it's made on.
I would also like to thank hy-brasil , for his prices answer. That's what l was trying to explain.
The paper is ribbed ,and l also don't know what's the reason.
I couldn't find any information about it in the catalogues l have,they don't mention anything of using such paper.
I'm trying to add photos , but my computer has technical problems which enables transfering photos to the website.
This is why I published the link at first .
Valued Member
Bulgaria
7 Posts
Posted 05/05/2022   05:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Bulgaria
7 Posts
Posted 05/05/2022   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add post_pe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3328 Posts
Posted 05/05/2022   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the 1 kop is horizontal verged paper (ordinary white paper).It should not be confused with the laid paper types.Verged paper has very close knit horizontal lines.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 05/05/2022   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that verged paper is in essence laid paper by virtue of how it is manufactured this can all become confusing.

It is very helpful to go back to basics and read some good resources on how paper used in stamps is manufactured.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 380Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05