Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Zealand Mt. Cook Question On Scott Catalogue

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 535Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NicholasC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My Scott 2019 Classic lists a 1/2p green Wmk Double-lined NZ and Star with perf 11 and Thick Soft Wove Paper as #84. It also lists this same design again as #99B, the only difference being that "Wove" is omitted from the paper description. My question is whether or not this is truly accurate, i.e. two different stamps (according to Scott anyway)? If so, what exactly would Thick Soft Paper be if not wove? There are additional minor varieties listed for 99B with different perforations, but I am only interested in the perf 11 on thick soft paper.

While this question is out there, I'm going to check my older catalogs as well to see if something obvious changed.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9034 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @rogdcam, I'll give it a read.

Note that my 1969 and 2012 standard catalogues both list the 99B, but not with perf 11. It is listed with perf 14, 14x11, and 11x14. Still need to check my 2005 classic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2008 Classic lists 14, 11x14, and 14x11 for 99B.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
156 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tongman65 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nicholas C, the 2021 classic lists #99B with perf of 11. #99Bd perf of 14, 99Be perf of 14x11, 99Bf perf of 11x14 and 99Bg perf of 11, 14 mixed. Those would be on thick soft paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6121 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have to wait for BILLSEY to answer your question . He is the expert on these ,he exhibited the differences in paper . He knows about the New Zealand "grass paper "
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3008 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gibbons says both are on thick, soft Pirie paper. I don't think there's any other soft paper variety in that era(??)
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/04/2022 07:15 am
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Tongman65, that is precisely what I see in the 2019 classic. @classic_paper says the 2008 classic doesn't have the perf 11 variety (nor does my 2005 classic). The fact that #84 is also the perf 11 is really the root of my question as to why two different perf 11 listings with 84 being Thick Soft Wove Paper and 99B being Thick Soft Paper. I haven't yet been able to conclude anything from the document @rogdcam mentioned.

I'll point out that Scott says #84 is a re-engraved slightly smaller stamp than #70. Could it be that #99B is not re-engraved and original size?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Steiner doesn't have a space for 99B, not that I could find anyway. This is partially what triggered me looking into this so much. I try to ensure his pages match my 2019 classic before printing.

Maybe I need a better catalogue.
Edited by NicholasC - 05/04/2022 07:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9034 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You have to wait for BILLSEY to answer your question .

Why? Do you know where the info in my link above comes from? Do you know who the author is? Are you familiar with the Campbell Paterson Catalog?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
563 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks, Roger, for sharing this informative resource. Its a new one for me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3008 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 99B perf 11 is then actually a scarce variety according to Gibbons, 283 there, listed as "perf 14 and 11 mixed". Badly perfed sheets perf 14 and 14x11 were backed with paper in spots as needed and (officially) reperfed gauge 11. Don't know if that means the whole sheet was reperfed or a short hand tool was used. Will dig out the Campbell Paterson.

My older 2014 Scott has no mention of perf 11 for 99B.

A better catalog might fill the bill but it can take you down the rabbit hole for New Zealand as you might suspect. You will easily take yourself beyond the Steiner pages, I think.

Edited by hy-brasil - 05/05/2022 12:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A better catalog might fill the bill but it can take you down the rabbit hole for New Zealand as you might suspect. You will easily take yourself beyond the Steiner pages, I think.

Any non-Scott catalog will take you beyond Steiner pages, at least for non-USA.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1438 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be great for me if somebody produced Steiner-like pages using the Gibbons catalog as a guide. I'm modifying Steiner pages on an as-needed basis when I identify a stamp using Gibbons for varieties that go beyond Scott. I just created a page for New Zealand life insurance stamps with inverted watermarks.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds fun, I just don't have an SG to use as a reference.
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty much bound to the Scott Catalogue because of all the International albums and pages that I have (and it is what I grew up on in the 70s) and of course because I have all six volumes of the 2012 catalog. I do like Steiner's intent on including all major varieties on his pages. I say "intent" because I have found pages where some minors are included, where some majors are missing, and extra pages just for minor varieties or other common items that were never issued. I print pages that match my 2019 classic catalog first, but then move to the 2012 catalog when I get into non-classic era. I would estimate that I have modified 200 pages, mostly to fix frame sizes, but also to add missing frames and perhaps a time or two to remove a frame for a stamp that is no longer listed. I have though about getting other more complete catalogs, e.g. SG, but I think only if I really want to dig truly deeper into what I have. And if I did that, you can be assured I would start creating pages to match the more complete catalog.
Edited by NicholasC - 05/04/2022 1:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
789 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My NZ papers exhibit dealt only with the papers used during the reign of KGV, so not with this issue which was released before QV died. C-P is the best source for info on these short of The Postage Stamps of New Zealand, Vol.I, which is scarce. They didn't use the Pirie in the later issues.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 535Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05