Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Bluenose Stamp #158

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 597Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
588 Posts
Posted 05/07/2022   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just idling away on a Saturday assembling my Canada collection and admiring this stamp which is considered by many one of the most beautiful stamps. Three so far - need to curb my obsession before I completely run out of money.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 05/07/2022   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had a vote, I think I would vote for "Bluenose" as the most attractive postage stamp, by a nose over the Penny Black.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1227 Posts
Posted 05/07/2022   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice - definitely one of the all-time beauties - great centering too on the right one in your pic.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/07/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a stunningly beautiful and majestic design. Why can they not pull this off anymore. Sigh
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 05/07/2022   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt it is one of the finest examples of the engraver's art.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6382 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO the Canadian "Scroll set" is as beautiful as any. Always thought the Admirals were striking and the $1 Parliament Building and allegory of Flight are beautiful examples of the fine engraving of the entire set. The Bluenose is the centerpiece of a very lovely set.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Three so far - need to curb my obsession before I completely run out of money.

Do you plan on collecting blocks/covers/plate errors or other variants? And if not, why have more than one single?
Pillar Of The Community
588 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer - I agree, looking for a nice copy of the Parliament building stamp to complete the page.

classic_paper - I happened to like the stamp a lot and also because I have kept looking for a even better copy. In addition to expanding and looking for plate blocks/covers, I'm on the hunt for a reasonable "man on the mast" variety .

Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those who have not seen a 'man on the mast' variety....

It is the top stamp.
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have posted this before, but what the hey. I am also one of those people looking for a proper period used cover. Not easy to find. This block is from 1936.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 05/08/2022 4:53 pm
Valued Member
Canada
439 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamporator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the largest 'Bluenose' multiple that I have seen...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 05/08/2022   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting - prepaying 75 deliveries with 75 cents postage in bulk.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 05/08/2022 10:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3626 Posts
Posted 05/10/2022   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
372 Posts
Posted 05/10/2022   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The pictoral sets from this issue thru to the 1946 Peace issue are all great - beauty in both the subjects portrayed and the engraving quality.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 597Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05