Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Used Scott US #317 With APS Certificate. Thoughts?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 2,282Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jarnipman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. First off the reason there is a seperate post from me was I was asking in my other first post about where to find an archive of certs, I started a new post to discuss this stamp specifically. Apologies I am not the best at forums but there is nothing weird going on.

My father and I have similiar thoughts about things being rather fishy: famous dealer, low number on the cert, unlikely to be a used 317 since there have not been any, stamp looks to good, etc.

However, as one poster stated they see perfs, I don't see that under a loop. The quality of the images are terrrible, they looked pretty good when I took them but got destroyed by the image limit of 300KB. The lines are clean, but being able to adjudicate whether this is trimmed is beyond our capabilities.

We agree there is only one solution and that is to send this stamp back in for expertising. Before we send it in, we are asking APS if they have this record on file of certifiying this stamp, if they say no I think we have our answer.

Whether it is fake or not, between our two collections it has given my father and I very much to discuss and we are considering it as one of the most unusual stamps in our collections.

When we find out what it is, I will post back. Maybe we can get a quick answer from APS, but it may of course take months to expertise
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Plus there were so many more brick and mortar stores that many collectors had dealers they felt they could trust, both to sell to them and to look at items if they felt it necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The "certificate is not valid. A genuine certificate would have an image of the stamp attached with an embossed stamp through it tying it to the certificate. The stamp itself is too well centered for the issue. Whomever faked it should not have strove for perfection.

For today, yes, but that is a false statement for certs issued in 1964.

As to the OP, I would send in both the piece and the cert. If reexamination continues to show the item as genuine, the cost of the certificate is well worth the price. If not genuine, then the cost of the new certificate is the lowest price and still worth the effort.

If genuine, you and you dad have found a very nice item.
Learn More...
United States
10540 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   1:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that the perfs appear to line up (top to bottom) so I checked a few on the Siegel site; I ones I looked at do not have perfs that line up. I do not know enough about how these rare coils were perforated (and being a dialysis day too lazy to look up) but perhaps someone here can speak to this.
Don
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jarnipman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi everyone,

Here is an update on this stamp:

Because this stamp was in a glassine marked "#317" with the certificate folded so the cert looked like a blank backing slip, it languished for over 50 years in my father's collection.

As suggested, we wrote Ken Martin at APS (Expertising Director) to verify this certificate was issued by APS. He noted that they can't confirm or deny they issued this certificate (they do not have a copy in the archives) because there is uncertainty whether copies were kept for any certificate in 1964. He also noted that photos became standard in the 1970s and it is extraordinarily rare for APS to disagree with a prior APS certification.

As far as the comment "a used #317 does not exist" – that Seigel has had 111 auctions of mint #317s and zero used #317s appears to support this conclusion. However, the dash in the Scott Catalog suggests that at least one used VF #317s exists, but there's insufficient sales data from which to project a value. Check it out: Page 27a of 2022 Scott Catalog reports: "A dash ln the value column means that the stamp is known…" So we reached out to Scott's consultant Sergio Sismondo to understand how Scott concluded that somewhere there is an extant used #317. But he has not responded thus far. Does the dash verify for everyone else that a used version must exist? We are wondering if Scott may have known about our certification from APS back in 1964 when they were confident enough to include a dash in the catalog.

We have just today send the stamp and original APS certification back to APS to confirm their original certification.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me the dash means that at least at one time a certified used example probably existed. How long ago that was, and whether it still does exist are another question.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3956 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the key is sending the stamp and previous certificate back to APS for their next review. Thanks for keeping us updated on this interesting item.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the fact that the PF has only had two submissions of purported used 317's both of which were found to be trimmed 304's speaks volumes.

Best of luck though and thanks for the update.
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jarnipman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, it's an interesting saga, but we keep coming back to the APS cert that is both embossed and watermarked. We are as curious about the cert as we are the stamp and I am sure APS will enjoy reviewing the cert with their name on it. Now it's a waiting game and I will definately post back with the outcome in a few months.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I was wondering if anyone would make a comment about the person who submitted this item to the APS back in 1964. Herman Herst was described as the "stamp world's most esteemed dealer" in the photo caption of the obituary written for him by The New York Times when he died at age 89 in 1999. Within the text he was described as, "...stamp world's most revered dealer, auctioneer and collector and by far its most garrulous booster and most prolific authority...." Elsewhere he is referred to as "Legends of philately #1."

Pat, as he was called, would not need to get much if anything certified. With his understanding of philately, it speaks volumes that he chose to send this item in for a certificate as to do so was to indicate that he could not disprove it as a 317. Of course in 1964 he could not know everything as at that time he had been only a full time professional philatelist for 31 years, having won the APS Luff Award in 1961. I am not counting the 17 years between being bitten by the philately bug and opening his first store on Nassau Street. He still had 35 more years ahead.

I look forward to your report after review of the "patient" by the current expertizing group. If found as genuine, I also expect to see an article in The American Philatelist, magazine of the APS. Please give them permission to write the story, even without using your or your father's name.

Until then, I, like you, wait.

Edited for link:

qQhU4-yASGQ
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/24/2022 03:15 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a decade-older APS cert, with a picture of the specimen. PF and RPSL were also using photos at this time, why doesn't an APS from the '60s? It is curious how "casual" the #317 cert appears, by comparison.
Edited by classic_paper - 05/24/2022 04:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I commented about the cert format in the beginning of the thread and stand by my comment. The 317 "cert" shown for the "317" is not correct.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I wrote earlier, it is apparently the other half of the form, based on the locations of the perforations. That is why they do not look exactly alike.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Do no look exactly alike?" To be fair, they look nothing alike. If genuine (someone had said they have a few certs that look like the OP's), what on earth made APS change their format from office-official to back of the napkin? Maybe this was done at a show or fair, the way coins and sports cards can be done now?
Edited by classic_paper - 05/24/2022 07:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They did not "change the format". The certs were in two parts, just as PF certs are today. One half would normally go to the person who sent in the stamp, and one part stayed in house with APS. The in house part had no reason to look "more official". Somehow in this case, the part that usually stayed with APS got out and is what was shown at the beginning of this thread. The cert above is the part that normally went out to the person who sent in the item. I have 2 from this era myself; they look just like this one except the side perforations between the two halves have been cut off in this scan.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 2,282Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05