Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Original Spelling Of Nipigon?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 348Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
36 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dairypac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This postmark isn't listed in the data bases, at least, with my searches.
I did find that the area was referred to with this spelling (Nepigon) in the 1850's.
Has anyone seen this before?
I have no idea how common, or oncommon it is.
Ross
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3328 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps an older spelling of Nipigon ont.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the 60's , I was fishing on Nipigon . I was the kid holding down the bow of the boat in a fierce lightning and pouring rain storm racing back to camping area. It's a big lake , quite the memory . There was a little town of native Indians , where we bought ice in the saw dust filled barn. In those days , I spent my paper route money at the post office for plate blocks, too many I recall. My dad, who turns 100 this month, collected coins and saw much more appreciating monetary value . Fun times.
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The town of Nipigon has had many different names. It was first known as Red Rock after the Red Rock House fur trading post. It was then known as Nepigon after Lake Nipigon, and then later named Nipigon which is the name that has stuck. Pasted from Google search.
It's also a 12 and a half hour drive from here...
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 05/09/2022 9:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 05/10/2022   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Clovnfire to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About the same miles from N Iowa. The best fishing I've seen !
Canada
1 Posts
Posted 05/11/2022   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matisse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hello,

Here is what I have found about Nepigon.

The French Jesuit Claude Allouez celebrated the first Mass beside the Nipigon River May 29, 1667.[12][13] He visited the village of the Nipissing Indians who had fled there during the Iroquois onslaught of 1649-50. In the Jesuit Relations the lake is called lac Alimibeg, and was subsequently known as Alemipigon or Alepigon. In the 19th century it was frequently spelled as Lake Nepigon. This may have originated from the Ojibwe word Animbiigoong, meaning 'at continuous water' or 'at waters that extend [over the horizon].' Though some sources claim the name may also be translated as 'deep, clear water,' this description is for Lake Temagami. Today, the Ojibwa bands call Lake Nipigon Animbiigoo-zaaga'igan.
Valued Member
Canada
36 Posts
Posted 05/11/2022   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dairypac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!
One thing that I am not finding out is: is this spelling of the postmark common?
Thanks, Matisse, for that in depth look at the history of the area. That is what makes this hobby fascinating. Welcome to the forum.
You will find it amazing!
Ross
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05