Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 54,059Next Topic
Page: of 27
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2272 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The Hindenburg cancel requires a little background --

On 1 October 1938, the Sudetenland was ceded by Czechoslovakia to Germany. Until sufficient supplies of German stamps arrived, Czech stamps were used, to some extent unchanged, while in other places the Sudeten German Party sold surcharged Czech stamps at the post offices. When you see listings for Sudetenland in a catalog, these overprinted and provisional issues are what they're listing. Their use was ended on 20 October 1938, when it was deemed that sufficient German postage was available.

However, during the same period, there were provisional cancellers. These included:

1. Unchanged Czech postmarks
2. Postmarks with Czech inscriptions removed
3. Old Austrian postmarks
4. Provisional postmarks (usually single line place names)
5. Special postmarks (usually rubber stamps) with additions

All were withdrawn in November 1938.

So what you have is a piece that passed through the mail during the period when at least some German postage was becoming available, but before new cancellers had arrived. The cancel is a single-line place name provisional postmark (#4 above) from Mährisch Schönberg, modern Šumperk, Czech Republic.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(Shaking my head) with a big grin.
Postmaster, you are the font of all knowledge in German Philately,
Great work, it's a great feeling when, an apparently abstruse piece of ephemera,
can be identified, with a pertinent story of the time it was used.
Thank you.

Edited by rod222 - 10/04/2016 6:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4614 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, the hand cancel on your Hindenburg stamps is a provisional cancel for the eastern Sudeten town of Maehrisch Schoenberg. On the propaganda postcard below, you can see it directly below Breslau in the gold-colored Sudetenland area.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/04/2016 6:49 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/04/2016   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, found it, thanks Bookbinder.

Quote:
On the Staatstreffen cancels, if you look at the Bochmann listing posted above it has the code "Hd" next to the year of use. That indicates Handstempel, or hand canceller.

I recall back in the 1970's, my Sister in law, worked at the Perth GPO.
(And won the dubious title of "Miss Jiffy" when Australia introduced the Postal Jiffy bag)
The counters were covered in thick cowhide, for the cancelling hammers, presumably to give a clear strike, forgiving the angular strike mistakes, if a hard surface was used.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Germany.
The lowest value EUROPA stamp, for 10 years, was coloured Olive Green, or shade.

2016 Europa theme is......."Think Green"

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a tough one.

Northern France
German Western Command.
Sc#N19 Germania 15 pfennig. 1916 5th July 1917

Postmark? any ideas? GEPRUFT = "Checked"

Edited by rod222 - 10/05/2016 04:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2272 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

That's one of the standard cancels of the Etappengebiet West. The full text reads "Post-Überwachungs-Stelle / Geprüft" (postal control center / checked).

Geprüft is a common term in German philately. It literally translates as "proven", though in the context of censor markings, it's more akin to "checked". It's also used on German expertization certificates to signify an item is genuine.

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 10/05/2016 09:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4831 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are still active collectors who collect these special cancels and they are still issued by the post office . I run into them often in large bulk lots .

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you Postmaster, didn't think you would crack that one.
I am still one up on you though, you never cracked my Yacht Slogan Postmark

There are still active collectors who collect these special cancels and they are still issued by the post office . I run into them often in large bulk lots . br /

I really dig bringing "back to life" all the back of the book ephemera,
we are very fortunate to have Postmaster and his fabulous knowledge,
I just hope whomever takes over my collection will get as much joy as I do.

I have shown it before, but this is how I mount Postmaster's answers,
the tough thing is, trying to keep up.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2272 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

To be fair, that wasn't a postmark -- it was a cachet pre-printed on the envelope. And if there's another copy of that envelope somewhere out there, it sure as heck isn't on the Internet... because I've checked.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To be fair, that wasn't a postmark -- it was a cachet pre-printed on the envelope.

I see, please forgive me, I wasn't aware of that Postmaster.
I must dig it out for another look,
as I recall, perhaps applied by a rubber stamp?

I must say, thanks again, for looking for me, I do appreciate your time spent, on my behalf.
I thought it had you stumped.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2272 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those wondering what we're talking about, it's this:

The cancel is a standard Weimar Circle-with-grid cancel that was in use from approximately 1905-1920. You can tell it's a cachet in several ways -- the ink and quality are different, it doesn't line up with the postmark, and this cancel wasn't part of any slogan cancels.

Can't really tell about the application method without seeing a more complete example.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

3rd December 1934
Roller Slogan Cancel
Augsberg, Bavaria.
Feeble attempt at translation: "Labour shortage. Buy German Goods." ?

Iconography : Acorn
Prosperity and Power. Spiritual prosperity.
eg John and Yoko sending acorns to heads of State. 1970's.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
7th June 1940 3pm.
Berlin 017
Slogan Cancel. "Use the Tube Mail"

Evidence of previous mounting with "Sellotape" damage. Repaired.

Postman on BMW 1950
Rohrpost sign at entrance.

wiki
Rohrpost in Berlin

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohrpost_in_Berlin

Edited by rod222 - 10/05/2016 7:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2272 Posts
Posted 10/05/2016   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Augsburg cancel is Bochmann Serienstempel 135.

Translates as "Brecht labor shortage / buy German goods"

Available in several format -- yours is indeed a roller cancel ("Bd"). It was used in 22 locations from 24 March 1933-1935.
Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 54,059Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05