Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michel does state that you wouldn't see the numbers without at least 6 stamps. That's why there are listings in the table for a "RA als 6er-Str.", or strip of 6 from the beginning of the roll. I'm just not sure why the "als EZM" is listed in multiple tables when there's no way to tell the apart with just the one stamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
575 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Postmaster GS.

Does the catalogue use the same catalogue values?

What I mean: 702 AR is catalogue value 10 and 773 R is catalogue value 5,50.

Are the catalogue values the same with the B Red, C Green and D blue listings.

That would make sense.

Johan

PS sometimes one can find test prints of coils. They are printed just like a normal coil but without the print on the front side. so with numbers on the back.

They are of course white paper. so different from the green paper

Test coil front. Number on the backside is somewhat visible, middle stamp.

Backside test coil with number.

They are somewhat difficult to scan.
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 11/26/2018 03:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 11/26/2018   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I think I figured out the catalog. This is the proper table.

My mistake was assuming this was a Rollenanfänge (RA, or roll beginning) rather than a Rollenende (RE, or roll end). The roll end is found with four blank fields (Leerfeld, or Lf) to ensure the last stamp was properly dispensed from the machine. Thus, the proper table was this one for RE 1+4 Lf (roll end with 1 stamp and four blank fields). It makes reference to a black control number (a. schwarze Zählnummern), but I think that's a misprint. There is no control number, and no other table for the RE 1+4 Lf. The columns are for different colors and gums. Form left to right -- turquoise, green, green with Planatol gum, light turquoise.

As to the different gums on the greens, Michel says this:

Roll ends with the blank field color green (dextrin) were first used in the later editions of the "Brandenburg Gate" issues, and by the series "Accident Prevention" (PMGS: your stamps), it had become the most common roll end. It was used even more frequently at the beginning of the "Castles and Palaces" issues, and hardly on any other editions. The front is similar in color to the light green of the "MICHEL color guide", the back in the same shade with a high-gloss dextrin gum.

Roll ends with the blank field color green (with planatol gumming) were first used about mid-1974 and thus can be found on later editions of the "Accident Prevention" series (PMGS: your stamps). The last printings were in mid-1974. The occurrence in the "Castles and Palaces" issues is similar to the blank field green (dextrin). It differs in that the surface texture is matte and dull.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 11/27/2018   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Marvelous, thanks Postmaster.
I may have led you astray, by calling them "leader strips"

However, it does suggest, as ending strips, the stamps came out of the machine, upside down

Hmm second thoughts, not if they unravelled anti-clockwise.

Anyhows, we all learnt something today.
Printing your commentary on facing page.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampfix

I am due to donate my annual gift to the above (offered free)
https://www.germanstamps.net/pmgs_stampfix/

Question:
Is there a limit to how many images it will fix at one go? or, is it limited by the computers memory?
I am finding if I dump 300 images, to be fixed, it goes to about 52.

My most used programs :

Windows 7 (Exlporer part)
Scanner (Seiko Software)
ACDSee version 4.5
Amos Publications (Scott)
Picasa
Stampfix.
Agent Ransack

Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2018 9:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

It's limited only by the memory of your computer. I've had folks tell me they couldn't process single images scanned above 300dpi, but I frequently use the "Batch Image" function to split an A3-sized platen scan containing up to 100 stamps scanned in a single run at 600dpi. It just depends on the amount of free memory (RAM, not hard drive space) on your computer.

I'm afraid it's not as memory efficient as it could be, but that's largely because I was learning Java as I wrote it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Postmaster,
no problems at all, I was just curious.

For the record, I was dumping down 300 images scanned at 600dpi each , so 52 is fine, it is easy enough to make another pass.

Generally day to day, I "fix" about 38-48 scans.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're separating the stamps using your scanning software then running then individual stamp scans through the Batch Folder or Batch Files processes, you might try scanning the entire platen as one image and running it through the Batch Image process instead. It might be a little easier on the memory. If you haven't used that feature, the video instructions are on the download page.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster, have tried that, but it doesn't suit my needs.
I like my scans really "in your face"
I need, esp the Australian KG5 sidefaces and Kangaroos, big enough to flyspeck.

My 600dpi usually results in say a typical Czech oblong stamp, around 250Kb, then through stampfix, around 300dpi, which is a perfect suit for me.

My Epson scans automatically a platen of say 40 individual stamps, I hop on the indoor trainer whilst it is working , and can usually clock up 5 km.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bogus German Perfins.
Source: The perfins bulletin , January 1998
Author : Dr. Hans D. Hillman.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philately meets Phillumeny.
Found B.o.b (Back of book ) in stamp Album, 10 years ago.

HORTEN Vintage Cars Match Box labels from Germany.

Drava = Hungarian Labels.

Edited by rod222 - 12/16/2018 05:55 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A long shot, and a toughie.
Any idea on the German Pmk on this Turkey Postmark please?
Best scan available, on eBay for $1.25

Constantinople to Ahus Sweden ?

Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2018 7:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another that may interest Postmaster GS.

Fieldpost.
eBay 99c (shall watch the price skyrocket)
A beautiful cancellation strike.

Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2018 7:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

WRT the postmark on the first one (two posts above), I haven't been able to find it in my usual references. Based on the text of the cancel, it's likely a transit mark.

The text is:

Top -- Milit... (likely Militär-Mission, meaning the German military mission in Turkey)
Middle -- Briefstempel (letter cancel)
Bottom -- Etappe-Konstantinopel (the German logistical staging area in Konstantiopel)

WRT the second card (post immediately above), I've seen Militär-Mission cards go from $5-$100, depending on condition and cancel. That's one of the more common cancels, so it might go pretty cheap.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Postmaster,
As usual, great information.
bids are on, I'll cross my fingers.

Transit seems logical, I cannot read the PC but it seems "per Hannover" appears there.
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05