Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 387 / Views: 51,930Next Topic
Page: of 26
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/08/2020   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cross posting, perhaps can get a lead here regarding Poland Occupation Postmark?
Thank you.
http://goscf.com/t/53110&whichpage=7#648570 br /
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 06/08/2020 03:28 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PERFINS
On Piece Seek ID please.
Generous gift from SCF member Geoff Ha, Thank you.
BERLIN W: &C

BERLIN c: Drb

DRESDEN : HV

halbertstadt : DG

Weird one...Possibly SGI with pin missing. Pmk SO????

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here you go. Note: all catalog numbers are no longer current. I don't have a copy yet of the latest catalog, in which they changed the format of all the catalog numbers.

&C — J&C; Jakobowski & Cohen, women's coats, Berlin, 1915-1934

Dr.B. — Dresdner Bank, Berlin

HV — Hartwig & Vogel, Chocolate Factory, Dresden, 1917-1937

DG — Disconto-Gesellschaft (discount company), Halberstadt, 1927

PJS — Papier-Industrie, Fabrik, Handel (paper industry, factory, trade); Solingen, 1920-1929
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful, Postmaster.
Thanks a bunch.
Gee, "PJS" I must have looked at that for some time, could not crack it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster, I have about 80 German PERFINS to go, that I do not think have been identified.
Please do not feel obliged to reply, if the amount is tedious or taking up of your time.
Your previous assistance is very much appreciated.

All 80 are from a free gift from SCF member Geoff Ha, (Thank you)
Soaked in cold water to release hinge remnants, and dried in the Rod222 drying sandwich process.
Processed by PMGSSF "Stampfix"

Edited by rod222 - 06/27/2020 8:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a problem, Rod. Post at will and I'll get to them.

Here's the latest bunch.

R.M. — Rheiner Machine Factory, Windhoff & Co.; Rheine, 1896-1910

Postmark is RHEINE * (WESTF.) 1. * from Rheine, Westphalia.

G.St. — Gebrüder Stollwerck Schokoladenfabrik (Stollwerck Brothers Chocolate Factory); Köln (Cologne), 1897-1933

Postmark is a little challenging. It's a Cöln 1 postmark, but those came in varieties with most letters of the alphabet, and the letter is hard to decipher on your copy. I think it's CÖLN * (RHEIN) 1 k. The StampsX database has one photo of a "1 k", but it's not very clear.

Here's a cleaner example of the same cancel, except it's a "1 v".

W.J. — W. Josten S., iron wholesaler, machine factory; Neuss, 1898-1936

Postmark appears to be NEUSS * 2 a. StampsX doesn't have an example of the "a", but here the identical cancel in "c" variety.

W&N / LPZG — Wezel & Naumann, Chromolithography and Art; Leipzig, 1892-1897

Postmark is tough, but I think it's LEIPZIG-REUDNITZ * *.

S.F. / N. — S. Frankel, linen factory; Neustadt, 1881-1930

Postmark appears to be Neustadt, but it's too light to specifically identify it.

SG — Societe Generale; Metz, 1891-1909

Postmark is METZ * 1 k.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful. Thanks Postmaster.
I'll post some more late next week, just figuring out how to present my pages.
I think I'll list random, as they come, then make another field in my database,
indicating what perfins exist on what page.
(For eventually a *.pdf)

6 more, deal with at your leisure.
I realise "H" has numerous ID's no need to respond to that one.

Edited by rod222 - 06/27/2020 11:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   02:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here you go.

First one is listed in my old catalog as CGL, but it's probably more accurate to call it LG&C. I should have the new catalog in a day or so. We'll see if it is still listed that way.

CGL — Louis Gottschalk & Co., furrier items; Köln (Cologne), 1905-1923

Postmark is probably CÖLN * (RHEIN) 5 b.

S&W. — Schuber & Werth, makers of door closers (see here); Berlin, 1897-1915

Postmark appears to be BERLIN, C. * 25 c.

LLP — unknown company; Breslau, 1921-1925, or Posen, 1912-1922

Breslau and Posen were close to each other, so it was likely the same company in both locations.

As to the cancel... I think you might have a rare one, because it isn't in my usual references. The type is what the Germans call a "Kreis und Segment oben" (circle with segment at the top). I have a catalog just for this type of cancel, and yours isn't listed in that catalog or in the StampsX database.

The lower text is "(KR. SCHRODA)". Kreis Schroda was a county in the southern administrative district of Posen, near both the city of Posen and the city of Breslau. I have a reference listing all post offices in Germany up to 1920, and I did find a listing for a PO at Briesen (Kreis Schroda). I think that's where your cancel is from. The "BR" is clear, and I think I can make out portions of "SEN". Though the perfin was for a company in Breslau and/or Posen, neither city was in Kreis Schroda, so it can't be from either city.

Here's a similar cancel from another town in Kreis Schroda. I also pulled a cancel of the same type from a different city named Briesen (in Spreewald, not Kr. Schroda), and when I superimposed it over the Kr. Schroda one, "BRIESEN" appeared to fit length-wise.

H.&S. — Henschel & Sohn; Kassel, 1898-1917

Postmark is of this general type, but I can't get more specific as to the PO number and canceller letter since they're missing/indecipherable.

H — Aron Hirsch & Sohn, copper and brass factories; Halberstadt, 1910-1923 (there were a lot with 16 pin holes, but only 1 in Halberstadt)

Postmark is a HALBERSTADT * 1, but I can't be sure about the canceller letter. Based on the placement of the star and the number of bars in the upper and lower semi-circles, I think it's probably HALBERSTADT * 1 e

B&Co. — Bremshey & Co.; Solingen, 1903-1923

Postmark appears to be OHLIGS * * a, though it could be OHLIGS * * * or OHLIGS * * b, depending on whether that's an "a", "b", or star at lower right. Ohligs is about 6-7 km west of Solingen.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should also tell you since you're keeping a database of these, the catalog excerpts shown above are edited to remove inapplicable listings. I did that because I knew you were including these on your pages. For that reason, don't accept what's shown as the only option should you encounter the same perfin on a different stamp with a different cancel.

For example, the 1-H-28 listing above for Halberstadt looked like this before I edited it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, thank you Postmaster.
The offer remains open, should you have any interest in any of my material.
I'd rather it go to a dedicated German collection.
My collection will get broken up when I pass on.
As long as I keep the digital record, that is enough for me.

You may be able to lift the cancel, I am not adept at that.
My guess : BRIESEN
Edited by rod222 - 06/28/2020 04:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I see anything that would fit well into my collection. I don't collect a lot of perfins or cancels because I had to draw a line somewhere, if only for the sake of my bank account!

I agree on Briesen.

This is a cancel of the same type from a different Briesen, in the Spreewald region as opposed to Kr. Schroda.

I extracted the "BRIESEN" portion and superimposed it over yours to see if it would fit. Here's the result.

It's not exact, as the cancels were for different locations at slightly different times, but the overlay does show that the letters fit really well overall.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2240 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   05:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I just received the new perfin catalog, so I'll send you the updated excerpts for these last couple batches either today or tomorrow.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

The KOS BRIESEN (KR. SCHRODA) is of one version and type. Which is
/ ** The earliest date registered is 28.11.1909 and no last date. Sad we do not see the date. It would have been an earliest or last date.

Best regards

Hornet
Edited by hornet785 - 06/30/2020 06:51 am
Valued Member
Austria
175 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Three things on the German perfin catalog.

The new one has a new order, with the former number (1 for one-row-perfins, 2 for two or more rows, 3 for monograms) now in front of the catalog number. But I will keep the old system.

The sorting of mongrams. I talked a lot to the catalog makers about the crazy sorting system. If there is a monogram with different letters, you always find it under the first in the alphabet. So such things as UFA (the famous cinema company) is listed under AFU! The same if you can read the letters the other way around, no matter how the user's company is called.

And PostmasterGS: You shouldn't delete the different users from your information sheets. The punching machine manufacturers sold some punches more than one time. And so there are many examples, that e.g. one pattern was used from 1900 to 1912 by one company and from 1930 to 1945 by another. Sometimes you have to take a look at the cancellation and the date so see, what company could have used it and which one not. So the first name on the list is not always the right one ...
Edited by tommtomm - 06/30/2020 09:54 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sad we do not see the date. It would have been an earliest or last date.

Thanks Hornet.
"You gotta kiss a lot of frogs, before you find your Prince"

Page: of 26 Previous TopicReplies: 387 / Views: 51,930Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05