Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 53,157Next Topic
Page: of 27
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here are the latest ones.

F.&L. — Fehlert & Loubier, patent attorneys; Berlin, 1904-192 g

Postmark is likely from one of the Berlin NW post offices, as that was where Fehlert & Loubier were located at the time. Unfortunately, the PO number is cut-off at the bottom. The canceller letter appears to be "g". It would have looked something like this, though I do't think 87 is the correct number based on the tiny fragment of the PO number that is visible.

F.E.J./D. — Ferdinand Emil Jagenberg, Mechanical Engineering, 1904-1924, or factory of the same, 1919-1923; Düsseldorf

Postmark is from Düsseldorf, but with the bottom missing, there's no way to be more specific.

MMWC — M.M. Warburg & Co., Bank; Hamburg 1., 1901-1927

Postmark would be from the Hamburg 1. PO, though I can't be more specific with the canceller letter missing. It would be of this general type.

M&S — Either an unknown company in Emmerich, 1920-?, or Möllmann & Sonnet, Essen, 1918-1931 (think they did iron work of some sort)

Postmark is some sort of machine cancel.

AW — Friedrich Heber, maker of Athleta-Werk, a brand of tools, saw blades, etc.; Remscheid, 1921-1930

Postmark is REMSCHEID * 1 f. There were multiple variants of the REMSCHEID * 1 f canceller. One was the "normal" one. One had a flat-topped "f" placed high in the bottom segment. One had the flat-topped "f" placed lower in the bottom segment. Yours is the flat-topped "f" placed high in the bottom segment. Here's the only example StampsX shows, which unfortunately isn't very good.

Here's what the "normal" one looked like, which is basically yours minus the flat-topped "f".

S — Sulima Tobacco & Cigarette Factory, F.L. Wolff Company; Dresden, 1913-1925

Postmark is a machine cancel from Dresden, probably of this general type.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! So elan Posmaster.
Thank you so much,
Whom may I credit regarding the catalogues, on my album pages?

PS: I happened to check on "elan" wiki, no results
anyhow, it means verve, vitality, dash...............

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The catalog is published by the Arbeitsgemeinschaft (ArGe) Lochungen, which is the perfin working group of the Bund Deutscher Philatelisten e.V. (BDPh), Germany's big stamp collecting association.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Austria
176 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1d on 5pf used on piece.
Stephansort Postmark.
GRI without periods.
Gibbs records 2 copies unused, but none known cancelled.
Possibly unique.
Linke West Australian Auctions 1985 Lot 549
Est $5000
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I think the info regarding that stamp is slightly incorrect. Im my copy of his work G.R.I. (1987), Gibbs catalogs two varieties of that issue without the periods — one with normal spacing as if the periods were there, and one without the spacing.

The one with the spacing (17e) had three known copies — one unused and two on piece, with the unused copy being on the Royal collection.

The one without the spacing (17ea) had two known copies, both unused.

I'm no expert on these issues, but that appears to be 17e, so this would likely be one of the two known copies on piece. Gibbs doesn't show a copy of those issues in his book, but looking at a similar overprint on the next issue (18), compare the letter spacing of an overprint with the periods in the proper place, with one that has ".G" instead of "G.".

I assume that without the spacing (17ea), the letters would be close together like the "G" & "R" in the example at left.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Postmaster,
I bow to your better resources, Mr. Linke would no doubt had earlier catalogue references back in '85.
He did have a HUGE stock of German New Guinea material.
His Sales bulletin attest to that.

As perchance, I also read today an article Part 3 of the Carl Weller report,
(possibly by "The German Colonies collectors group" of the US)
That showed an Aussie cover, with the STEPHANSORT 13 undated Pmk.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here you go.

DB/B — Deutsche Bank, Biebrich branch; Biebrich, 1921-1923

The postmark is a variety of BIEBRICH * (RHEIN), though it's not possible to know the exact one without the canceller letter.

K.K. — Karl Krause, machinery factory; Leipzig/Anger-Crottendorf, 1892-1948

Not enough of the postmark to identify it.

JP.B. — several options here. Dates of validity for the stamp were 20 Dec 1920-31 Oct 1922, so probably one of the latter two.

The postmark is a railroad cancel, but I can't ID the line. Cöln-Something. Zug 1 or 1-something.

K.K. — Same as above. Postmark is again unidentifiable. The canceller letter is "l", but the PO number isn't visible.

C.G.V. — C.G. Vogel, printing and publishing; Pößneck, 1920-1923

Postmark is Pößneck * * i.

DB — Dresdner Bank, Erfurt branch; Erfurt, 1922-1929

Postmark is ERFURT * 1 w.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As always, wonderful stuff, thanks Postmaster.

Postmarks make fools of us all,
"Pobneck" the "e" you would never guess in 100 years.
Edited by rod222 - 07/05/2020 11:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to admit, if it weren't for the perfin listing for Pößneck, I don't know that I would have ever gotten that postmark. The "öß" combination is rare, but the "e" had me confused.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The continuing story of ID of German Personal Perfins.
Thank you Postmaster.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here you go:

GAK — Unknown company in Wuppertal / Barmen, 1920-1922.

Postmark is a circle/bridge cancel from Barmen, though IDing exactly which one isn't possible without the PO number and canceller letter from the bottom of the cancel.

AL/M — A.L. Mohr Corporation, margarine plant; Altona / Bahrenfeld, 1900-1930.

Postmark is from Altona, but again, can't be more specific as to exactly which one.

DrB — Dresdner Bank, either in Berlin W. 56 or Köln.

Postmark is some form of machine cancel.

JRSJ. Rilling & Sons, makers of milling machines; Dusslingen, 1921-1935.

Postmark is DUSSLINGEN * (WURTT.) *.

D.K./B. — Deutsche Kohlenhandelsgesellschaft (German coal trading company), Lüders, Sonnewald & Co.; Bremen, 1906-1928.

Postmark is a circle/bridge cancel from Bremen. The PO number isn't visible, but the canceller letter appears to be a "p". The only "p" canceller of this type listed in the StampsX database is BREMEN * 5 p.

F&L. — Frank & Lehmann, fashion clothing manufacturer; Köln, 1893-1931.

Postmark is some form of machine cancel.
Edited by PostmasterGS - 07/13/2020 03:11 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29760 Posts
Posted 07/13/2020   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What customer service !
Thank you Postmaster.
Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 403 / Views: 53,157Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05