Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 485 / Views: 64,483Next Topic
Page: of 33
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
What a great story !
Mesmerisingly quick as well.

Thanks so much, Postmaster.
Just an image from an auction catalogue,
but now demands an Album page . Super.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Here's the rest of the story for the sake of completeness.

The Friedemann excerpt above mentions that the cancels were ordered in two languages. Here's the English-language one from Friedemann and ArGe Kolonien:

Then, there was again a need for these cancels in 1895, and the German one was brought out of retirement.

Their is some uncertainty as to whether an English-language one was used as well following the 1895 fire. Friedemann doesn't list it, stating:

However, the ArGe Kolonien does list it as being used on a single day, and it is a different cancel from the earlier English one (dashes in the date instead of periods):
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 02/12/2021 7:34 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Fascinating..
Acronym LP?

Samoa Short History
RCSD (Recereation, Collectors, Stamps, Discuss) 2008

The civil war had produced a shortage of cotton and a consequent rush to bring land in Samoa into cotton production. New York shipping interests became aware of the harbor of Pago Pago, Samoa, "the most perfectly landlocked harbor that exists in the Pacific Ocean."
The eventual result was a treaty approved by the Senate in 1878, a treaty granting the U.S. the right to use the harbor at Pago Pago.

Thus war, sugar, cotton, and commerce combined to create the U.S.
involvement in Hawaii and Samoa in the 1870s.

And that's "the rest of the story," to go with the earlier posting, repeated below:

Per The Stamp Atlas by Wellsted, Rossiter, and Flower, p. 200: (summarized)

. . . American interest began in the 1830s and Britain appointed a
missionary as consular agent in 1847. Germany was officially represented in 1861.

There were numerous requests for annexation by Britain but no action was taken until 1887 when a civil war broke out. Britain supported one claimant (to the Chieftianship?), and the Berlin Agreement of 1889 reinstated him.
Athree-power protectorate was established. [While not stated in the book, the three powers clearly had to have been Britain, Germany, and the U.S.]

The chief died in 1898, leading to a renewal of civil war. In 1900, a new agreement was reached. Britain withdrew from the area, Germany gained control of the western-most islands, and the U.S. gained the eastern group.

When WW I started, German authorities surrendered to an expeditionary force from New Zealand in August 1914. The western-most islands then became a N.Z. mandate under the League of Nations.

[Note that the 1889 treaty pre-dates the U.S. acquisition of the Philippines and Hawaii by almost ten years.]

Stan
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

LP is short for Liebhaber, which translates literally as Lover's Price. In the Enlgish-language version of the ArGe Kolonien catalog, they also translate it as "fancy price, connoisseur's value", and I've also seen it referred to as "collector's price". It generally means that because of the rarity and lack of sales data, the catalog price is largely undetermined, and is whatever some wealthy collector is willing to pay.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 02/12/2021 9:07 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extraordinary!
never come across that type of reference prior.(20 years?)
There seems no end to learning in Philately.
Lovers Price...whom would have thought?

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Germanstamps.com Germanstamps.net "Stampfix"

Suggestion for further release, if any.
If I am de skewing, say 600 postage stamps, as I like my images 600dpi, I am scanning blocks of 2-4 only.

I like the result, however, due to the bulk "blocks" I often forget just where I am.
Could there be an indication of what image one is de skewing please?

Also, some of the more ratty examples, (Cinderellas perhaps, greyish) are not successful, (no problem there) but if I know what image I am working on, I can manually deskew, the rare instance stampfix misses.
Thanks PostmasterGS.

Edited by rod222 - 02/14/2021 6:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Just so I'm clear, you'd like a spot where the filename of the file currently being processed is displayed?

Also, feel free to e-mail me any images you're having difficulty with. I can usually get them to work and send you the settings I used, and if not, I use them to refine the software so the next version is more accurate.

Have you tried larger batches since you got your new computer? If your computer has more horsepower than your old one, it should be able to do larger batches.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just so I'm clear, you'd like a spot where the filename of the file currently being processed is displayed?

Precisely, Postmaster.
All the rest is just brilliant, I prefer not to alter my settings,
just for the odd "ne'er do well"
I use Picasa, and can have it sorted in a trice, manually.
I am up to scan 574 in Stampfix, that makes about 1,850 stamps "stamp fixed" in 2021.
I shall send you the next failures when they pop up.
For fear of repeating myself, I gotta say, that is a wonderful piece of software, for me personally.
To answer your question, yes I can stampfix an entire scanner platen, but the resultant images naturally, will be smaller.
Not of my liking. (up to 40 stamps)
If you suggest using a higher DPI, my scanner Epson V200 labours, with anything over 600dpi.
Edited by rod222 - 02/14/2021 05:27 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cannot recall exactly, what country the failures were from,
I have a foggy feeling, it was the stamps where the design is not constricted to a square or rectangle, ie the colour goes right to the edge of the teeth.
If the stamp was cancelled with a dark black CDS, further hiding the teeth definition, then again a failure.

Very rare though, and as explained fixed via Picasa in seconds.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Which process are you using when you need the filename displayed -- Batch from Image, where you're extracting single stamps from a scan of several?

The reason I ask -- showing the filename for Singles and Batch from Image is easy. Showing it for files as they're processed in a Batch from Folder or Batch from Files is much harder.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostmasterGS.
"Batch from Image" Only

"Files" is automatic, I do my covers and Souvenir sheets with Files.
(It even does the triangles)

My Epson saves each scan, (say of 2-5 stamps) as Z364, z365, z366, etc
and they are the image names I need to show, if possible, on the interface.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As it happened just a few minutes ago,
(I don't need you to fix it)

These are scrappy stamps, but, I often do this to "Toggle" overprints, to ID forgeries.

Now with this, I just raised the original scan, drew a carousel around the dodgy, saved, sent it through Stampfix again, to success.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2478 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On dark stamps with cancels, you have to drop the initial Threshold (upper right) down to about 50-75.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostmasterGS,
works fine, thank you very much indeed.
Shall save time, ticking off numbers.
I'll email you, should any irregularities pop up, in the next few weeks.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32811 Posts
Posted 03/08/2021   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bavaria
Somewhat of a guess.
Poster Stamps.

Riechenberg 1911 Exposition

Regensberg
Synagogue burnt down 1938 (Not 1912 as Wiki)
By the German NSKK.

Page: of 33 Previous TopicReplies: 485 / Views: 64,483Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05