Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/09/2016   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh... I see, cheers Postmaster.

I have updated the page with the correct Catalogue (you brought this to my attention before)
It is an old scan.

So once again, rare postmarks bring in the shekels.
Knowledge is power.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Sc# 184 (Posthorn bi-colour)
Sheet of Stamps (part) missing 2 rows.
Selvedge with advertising text? Accountancy numbers and margin marking H8491.22

CV : 80 stamps @.20c $16

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe impossible to identify.
Pictormark
Mutilated Stationery (Light manila card - lettercard / postcard maybe)

Curious as to the design, and what hangs between the towers ?

Edited by rod222 - 10/10/2016 07:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

The partial sheet is a nice one. The full sheet would have been 10x10. The right margin is,indeed, an advertisement. The stamp dealer Paul R. Schwerdtner did those on several varieties of sheets during the inflationary period.

The full text reads "Paul R. Schwerdtner, Berlin W. 10" / Purchase of collections and antiquated stocks in any amount / World trading house for stamps".

Overall, I'd put the CV higher than $16. Michel's CV for the singles alone would be €72, but you'd get a premium for them being part of a large block with the advertisement. Plus, Michel assigns a premium to margin pairs with a HAN -- €6.50 for HAN 8491.22, and for upper margin copies with the margin attached -- €2.50 each.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Austria
150 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is part of a postcard sent from Langenberg.
The whole text is "Besucht die reizvolle Senderstadt"
which means "Visit the lovely transmitter town".

These masts should have been quite a landmark for this little town. Was the biggest middle wave transmitter in Europe these days.

Here a complete stamp and an old picture of the masts.

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And here's the Bochmann entry, Langenberg (Rheinland) 1 (links to a higher resolution version).

Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6670 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, the wires in between the towers are the actual antenna's. For longer wavelengths one needs longs stretches of wire. One of many reasons we now use extremely short wavelengths.

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extraordinary. Gentlemen, thank you, one and all.
My tiny piece of cardboard is going to make a nice little Album page.

Tommtomm, I note a chilly game of soccer (football) in progress, bottom right of picture.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Etiquette:
Opened for Customs Inspection.

Pictormark
Buchen (Oldenwald)
City tower, and Marian Column (Virgin Mary)

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the Bochmann listing for your Buchen cancel (click for hi-res version):

The text translates literally as "ancient town."
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Postmaster.

Hope this is not a duplication,
if you have answered this prior, I have not mounted the piece.

On some type of card
Krag style of Machine roller cancellation?

Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2130 Posts
Posted 10/10/2016   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Catalogs in Bochmann as München 57 (links to hi-res version):

Slogan is "Use when traveling / postal letter of credit". The background is four winged wheels.

Used in München from 1928-1930, and the circular cancel is always München * 1 *.

It is a machine roller cancel. I can't speak to the type of machine.
Edited by PostmasterGS - 10/10/2016 10:27 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, Postmaster.

Query: Germania 1905-1919 Wmk Lozenges.
I have just watermark tested say 50 stamps,
I end up with 10 of these issues that show no Wmk at all, is this known,
or do I need a skill update ?

Is ID Possible?

Scott# 68 10pf RPO / TPO Bahnpost ???LAU-ODER
ZUG 212 (Train 212)

Suggestion
On 1 September 1846, the last section (Frankfurt (Oder) – Bunzlau) of the 330-kilometre-long Lower Silesian-Märkisch Railway was opened, linking the two great cities of Prussia, Berlin and Breslau. At the same time the main line of the Upper Silesian Railway that started in Breslau reached Gleiwitz in October of that year. Within three years the railway network in the German Confederation had more than doubled in length.

Edited by rod222 - 10/11/2016 07:43 am
Valued Member
Austria
150 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod!

It should be this one -> "BRESLAU - ODERBERG".

Unfortunately I'm not a Germania freak, so all I can say is ...

if you are really lucky, that 10 pf could be a "Chemnitzer Postfälschung", but you need to ask an expert about that.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 10/11/2016   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Tommtomm,
nice work, I thought originally Breslau, no reason, just sounded good,
when I found it was in Poland, I gave up.

So the 10 pfennig was forged? I was not aware of that.
Thanks for your speedy reply.

Care to speculate how a month can be 0 ?

Edited by rod222 - 10/11/2016 07:05 am
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05