Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Germany: Cancellation Premium.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 641 / Views: 76,754Next Topic
Page: of 43
Pillar Of The Community
France
2268 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Schoppinitz ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However did you find that!
Your searching skills are extraordinary.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seriously, well done vayolene, I've been searching for the last couple hours for something that fit and never came across that name. (On google)
My search started with the assumption it was nitz but found nothing at all..
I went thought German and polish names,
I had to leave off at my guess with nothing else to go on!

Edited by Just_fella - 07/04/2022 12:17 am
Valued Member
Romania
494 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe Lublinitz?

-cancellation found in postmark database on the site "stampsx"
Edited by cupram - 07/04/2022 02:08 am
Valued Member
Romania
494 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wrong.
The relative position of the letters is incorrect.
Vayolene is correct in identification: Schoppinitz

-found on "stampsx"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's not an exact match. Look at where the horizontal bridge bars meet the letters. It may end up being the correct location, but that's not nit the correct cancel. There isn's a matching one on StampsX as far as I can tell — I looked at all the WITZ and NITZ.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   04:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Any tips for a new user, with StampsX ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any tips for a new user, with StampsX ?

OK, Rod, here goes!

The database is here.

Here's what each search box does, though I rarely need more than 1 or 2.

Stempel ID (Gerätenummer) - Cancel ID (canceller number): only used if you already know the number assigned to that cancel in the database

Postverwaltung (Gebiet, Land) - Postal Administration (Territory, Country): Allows you to narrow the returns by country, etc. The database is setup for use with cancels from around the world, though 99% + of the entries are Germany. I rarely use this field since the various German areas can be complicated and it's easy to accidentally filter out the answer you're looking for if you get the wrong one.

Ortsname ohne Zusatz - Place Name Only (also the only field name that actually gets translated into English if you click the little British flag at upper right to get the English version of the site -- looks like poor web design): town/city name with nothing else (no state, post office number, slogan, etc). This is one of the two fields I use the most.

A break here to discuss the wildcard function and its application, specifically to this field, since it has an Exact Search (Exakte Suche) option. The percent sign (%) is the wildcard, and it works when Exacte Suche is checked. It allows you to define whether you want additional characters before your search term, after, or neither. For example, with Exackte Suche checked:

NITZ returns only matches to the exact town of NITZ (which doesn't exist, poor example on my part!)
%NITZ returns only matches where NITZ is at the end of the word (CHEMNITZ, BRANITZ, etc.)
NITZ% returns only matches where NITZ is at the beginning of the word (NITZOW, NITZWALDE. etc.)
%NITZ% is the equivalent of turning off the Exacte Suche, returning results with NITZ anywhere in the word.

Without the Exackt Suche checked, the wildcard doesn't matter. If you enter NITZ, %NITZ, NITZ%, or %NITZ%, without Exackte Suche checked, you'll get a list of places with NITZ anywhere in the name. It could be at the front (NITZWALDE), in the middle (BARTNITZKA), or at the end (CHEMNITZ).

This field is particularly useful if you only have a partial set of letters from the beginning or end of a place name.

Ortsname mit Ortszusatz - Place Name With Suffix: This field is similar to the previous, but is used for the limited number of German places that have a long-form name as well as a short-form. For example, take the short-form name FRANKFURT. Germany has multiple Frankfurts -- could be FRANKFURT AM MAIN (Frankfurt a.M., Frankfurt on the Main River) or FRANKFURT AN DER ODER (Frankfurt a.d.O., Frankfurt on the Oder River). The cancels for these places vary greatly in what words they include on them to differentiate them from the other places with similar names, and this variance makes it hard to find them without this function.

Typing the long-form name FRANKFURT AM MAIN in the previous blank (Ortsname ohne Zusatz) will return only those cancels with FRANKFURT AM MAIN used in long form, missing hundreds of cancels where a short-form such as FRANKFURT A.M. is used. So when the cancels are entered into the database, the person entering the data includes the long-form name in this field. That way, you can search for the long-form name (FRANKFURT AM MAIN) using this field and get all cancels for the town, regardless of which short-form (FRANKFURT, FRANKFURT a.M., FRANKFURT (MAIN), etc.) was used on the cancel.

Exakter Text im Stempelgerät oder exakte Teile davon - Exact text, complete or partial, in the cancel: This is my most used field. It simply searches for any text in the cancel, regardless of whether it's a place name, slogan, or whatever. If it's text and it's in the cancel, you can search for it here.

So let's say you had a partial of this cancel (stolen from Rod's image on p. 1 of this thread).

You could search here for "Staatstreffe" and you would get 15 results, all varieties of this cancel:

The ability to search across all the text in the cancel makes this the most powerful block in the search form. It's also the one that will sometimes overwhelm you with results, so I often start with this block, then add others to filter the results down further, if possible.

Postamt - Post Office: This one is useful in situations where the city has dozens of POs, and you only want results from one. For example, typing BERLIN in the city blank will get you 19,890 results — so many, in fact, that the database won't show them because there's an upper limit on how many results it will return. Most large German cities with multiple POs had/have the PO number in the cancel as well.

So if you knew the postmark was from PO number 58 in Berlin, you could put "58" in the Postamt blank, and it would only return postmarks from the Berlin N 58 PO. Or, if you only had the "58" but not the city, putting "58" in this blank would return all PO's numbered 58 throughout the database.

Unterscheidungsbuchstabe und Symbole im Stempelgerät - Distinctive letters and symbols in the cancel: This is for returning cancels with a particular symbol or letter, usually the letter assigned to German cancels. Taking the Berlin N 58 cancel above as an example, this canceller was canceller "* g" from Berlin N 58. You could enter "*", "g" or "* g" in this blank to get cancels with the "*" and/or "g" in the results.

Erklärungen - Explanation: This field lets you search the notes entered with the cancel. Not particularly useful unless you can read/write German.

Breite (von Außenkante zu Außenkante) in mm - Diameter of the cancel in mm: useful in that many early German cancels are identical except in their diameter.

Stempelsorten (grobe Einteilung) - Cancel Type (Rough Classification): The database classifies all the cancels into types. There's a lengthy list of types, which you can access by clicking the Stempel Typenübersicht (Stamp Type Overview) link next to this field. This is useful in quickly narrowing the results to only the type of cancel you have. Ex., circle with a grid pattern in the semi-circular segments.

geometrische Stempelform - Geometric Cancel Shape: This is the previous field in even more detail. There's a link (geometrische Formenübersicht - Geometric Shapes Overview) to help you drill down even further on the cancel type, but it's tough if you don't read German.

oder Nummer eines Nummernstempels - Or Number of a Number Cancel: In early Germany, particularly the German States period, they used Nummerstempeln (number cancels). This lets you search using nothing but that number. These are the same numbers listed by State in the left-hand column of StampsX under the Stempelbeispiele heading.

Zeigt min. Bilder echt - Show only those listings with the given minimum number of photos

min. Bilder falsch - Show only those listings with the given minimum number of photos of forgeries

Frühdatum (Jahr) größer als / Spätdatum (Jahr) kleiner als - Start date greater than / End date less than

If voluminous, the search results will be displayed as a simple list. The bolded name is the city, and the capitalized text is the actual text of the cancel. Click an individual entry for the details of that cancel.

If not voluminous, you get all returns with their details already showing.

The individual entries contain a lot of information in addition to that for which you were able to search, including:

Gerät - application method (hand cancel, machine cancel, etc.)
Normale Stempelfarbe - normal ink color
Verwender - user, typically Postamt (Post Office)
Verwendung als - use as (ex. commemorative cancel, arrival cancel, date stamp, posting cancel, etc.)
Schriftart - Font

The fields here are too numerous to attempt to list.

One word of caution WRT usage dates -- the dates aren't always 100% accurate. Those are dates for the examples in the database, not necessarily for the entire range of possible dates for that cancel.

So that's the long version. Let me know if you have any questions as you try it out. I recommend heavy reliance on Google Translate to help with the German text.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 07/04/2022 1:18 pm
Valued Member
302 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hornet785 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

A note of 110% for this instruction...Well done!

Hornet
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Goodness me!
Where else but SCF (and Postmaster) generate such a response.
Extraordinary!
Thank you so much, look forward to saving all that, and putting on my "L" Plates, (Learner driver)

It's up there with the GB Pmk Database.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35819 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

From the Library
1920 Berlin Offset stamp catalogue

FREE GIFT from CSF member CALSTAMP
Copious thanks Jim.

Page: of 43 Previous TopicReplies: 641 / Views: 76,754Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05