Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Was Given A Bunch Of Loose Stamps That Had Been In A Flood. . . Are They Worth Trying To Save?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,816Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1181 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to just give these away, do it for a wonderful cause, STAMPS FOR THE WOUNDED [ https://www.stampsforthewounded.org/ ]. It provides support for wounded US Veterans via stamp related activities, collecting and art projects. Started during WWII, it continues to run today without any negative problems over the 80 years.

By the way, what you have is a better collection of stamps than many "real stamp collectors" ever manage to accumulate. As to the value, remember, many of those who comment on the low values are the same folks who toss around $1000-$5000 or more on various stamp purchases; not the normal hobby enjoyment collector, collectors who are the vast majority and back bone of this hobby.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
0 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrealru to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have any idea which grills are on the any of the six stamps I posted last? Some are hard to see but some might be legible. If I can get some grills identified I can use them for reference in identifying other grills. I think I can recognize some of them with the help of the links that were shared but I just don't have the confidence that comes from the years of experience and familiarity many of you must have. I'll try to take some better images. In the mean time, if anyone sees a grill they recognize, I'd appreciate your expertise.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not my area of expertise, but I believe the 2,3 &15 cent pictorials only come with a G grill, which measures 9-1/2x9 mm with a grid of 12x11 to 11-1/2 points. As a worldwide collector I would certainly like to see some of the imperforate foreign stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The grill on the 10c Washington looks to be 14x18 points, which would make it a Z grill, but that seems hard to believe, so you will need to wait for one of the US classics experts on this board to weigh in
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   9:08 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would mean he has an 85d, which is worth a not so small fortune ($250-500K) - could be. Damn good luck if it is! I think you now have reason enough to talk to an expert or two (like Seigel or Kelleher auction houses about giving you a valuation).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8311 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would mean he has an 85d, which is worth a not so small fortune ($250-500K) - could be. Damn good luck if it is! I think you now have reason enough to talk to an expert or two (like Seigel or Kelleher auction houses about giving you a valuation).

Let's stay on this planet. Siegel or Kelleher are not going to go through and examine each of the stamps from this accumulation. And there is zero basis to start thinking that there are six figure stamps lurking within. Back here on earth we can say that it is a sizable accumulation of classic era stamps that have been saved from being destroyed. We see a lot of the usual suspects.

This bunch, if sold as a single lot, would attract some interest from treasure hunters and I would not sell it's value short. None of the stamps shown are $1 stamps by any stretch in eBay world. Just by virtue of sheer numbers you are looking at a four figure auction lot which is better then a kick in the rear end any day. A reseller like NYStamps would list each one individually and if each stamp realized $3 on eBay which is likely extremely low they would be looking at a possible five figure sum total outcome.

I would slow my roll and think long and hard about how to handle this. And keep expectations on the conservative side.

There are fancy cancels and covers(?) and grills and so on. This needs a good period of time to research and assign a realistic value to.

IMPORTANT:

I direct your attention to Rasdale lot 63 in their upcoming auction including the estimate and current bid. Good comparison in some ways.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/RA/ra4514.cfm#5
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   04:53 am  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you say there is no basis when you can see the 14x18 point grill on the 10 cent clear as day?
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   06:06 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The story is certainly fantastic; stamps in flood, recovered, stashed in attic for years, stamps stuck together and then soaked apart, and then a 10 cent Z grill pops up in the middle of it all. Each person, depending upon where they fall on the 'gullible to cynical' scale can form and offer their own opinion but at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is if the stamp in question is certified.
To the original poster https://www.philatelicfoundation.org/ Send them the green 10C stamp and let us know the results.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8311 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "Z" grill pictured in this thread is 100% fake. For a look at what both types of a "Z" grill look like please see the photos within the linked Wagshal PF article (the entire article is well worth reading) starting on PDF page 93 (document page 87):

https://wyzaerd-pf-prod.s3.amazonaw...CS-and-B.pdf
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Don. Kids are curious and all too destructive. What little boy would get his hands on a bunch of stamps and then just stash them away 'in the attic' of all places? What adult who knows nothing about stamps would soak a bunch of them, place them in books, and THEN finally ask for advice? I don't see any blackened stamps that are obviously moldy and water damaged ages ago. How long was the barn their home? Hard to swallow.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 05/14/2022 09:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1077 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   10:09 am  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tend to agree with Rog on this one. Looks really perfect, almost too perfect. And it also looks like it's reperfed on the bottom, at least IMO.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   11:29 am  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree there - my first thought was it was too obvious and crisp (the grill), but since I don't have many to look at (z grills), what do I know. Thank you for being clear in your skepticism.
United States
0 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrealru to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, ouch. First off, I didn't even know what an 85d was let alone claim to have one. I Make no claim of having found a Stradivarius or Monet either. I did not come here looking to sell anything. I didn't think stamps had any significant value monetarily but wanted to know if there was enough interest in them to justify spending the time to recover them. I never expected to make enough money to break even on the time spent on them. I am a working person and an only parent. Every hour of my time us valuable to me. It takes all the time there is to keep things together. I don't have time for hobbies. I have never had time for hobbies. Secondly, I do not live or have ever lived it a barn. Out of necessity I started working with my father and grand father when I was five. I worked every weekend, vacation, holiday and many many evenings. I never got to participate in school sports or any other extra curricular activity. I worked, I went to school and I did my chores. I picked up other small jobs when I could. I respected old people and rolled the old trunk home on my skate board. I looked inside and didn't see anything that immediately interested me. It was dirty, had a lot of dead spiders in and on it and smelled a bit. But it was dry. I Stashed it in my parents attic before my mom got a chance to see it and make me throw it away. It was quickly covered up with more boxes and junk and forgotten. Forty plus years later my mother died and I had to clean out her house to be sold. I found the trunk and brought it home. I still work more than full time and struggle to keep everything together. I don't have time to spend on nonproductive things. I've never had much and always hated to see something being thrown away that I needed or that was better than what I had. I thought I would check this website for people that would appreciate them enough to have some fun giving them away. I made that point earlier in my posts. I came here hoping to contribute and was starting to enjoy the thought of maybe having some things of value to donate to places like stamps for the wounded. I never looked at stamps from a monetary point of view. It seems to me that nearly all stamps are worth very little money. I imagine that the albums collectors place them in cost more that the stamps they contain. The true value in stamp collecting must be something that can't be measured in dollars and cents. . . or it wouldn't be so popular.
Most of the replies have been encouraging and positive and I thank you so much for them. Now it seems I am being accused of being a fraud or something similar. I did not come here to sell anything, made no claims of having any "holy grail" of stamps and never asked what anything was worth. I only wanted to know if there were collectors that valued what I have enough to spend the time save them and try to get them into the hands of those who would enjoy if not appreciate them. Maybe coming here was a mistake. If I don't continue to post here, thanks again to those who replied with positive thoughts. If I rubbed anyone the wrong way, that was not my intension and I apologize.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1809 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
try not to take it personal.
You have some really nice things that need heavy inspection is all.
Not your everyday kinda find!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8311 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most of the replies have been encouraging and positive and I thank you so much for them. Now it seems I am being accused of being a fraud or something similar. I did not come here to sell anything, made no claims of having any "holy grail" of stamps and never asked what anything was worth. I only wanted to know if there were collectors that valued what I have enough to spend the time save them and try to get them into the hands of those who would enjoy if not appreciate them. Maybe coming here was a mistake. If I don't continue to post here, thanks again to those who replied with positive thoughts. If I rubbed anyone the wrong way, that was not my intension and I apologize.

I am sorry that you feel this way. Having reread all of the posts I can see nothing negative towards you personally. This is about the stamps. For my part when the trend started towards there being a potential super-rare stamp based upon other members comments I wanted to temper expectations. You also need to be aware that what you saved from destruction DOES have substantial value and before you give it away you need to know that.

Please stick around. It is a good community and can help you in many ways.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,816Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05