Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Used Scott 630 "On Piece"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 557Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am considering a White Plains (Scott 630) souvenir sheet for my used collection. It is apparently mounted "on piece," complete with circular "October 2(?) 1926 International Philatelic Exhibition" cancellations. The backing (kraft?) paper is beige in color, and has dimensions slightly larger than the sheet itself - enough so that certain cancellations "spill over" onto the backing - which assures me that the backing is of the same vintage as the sheet.

Any thoughts about the effect of this configuration on the sheet's value? Acid content of the backing paper is one consideration. Comments?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7906 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there some way you can show us the piece? Hard to give any kind of opinion in the dark

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's likely that it was used on a wrapper. However, unless it has both sets of addresses, it is essentially just a used sheet with no additional value for being on a piece. Having the addresses would make it postal history.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good way to collect the used sheet as the wrapper paper will help stop perforation separations. There should not be a noticeable premium for being on piece. If the backing paper as you called it was going to be an issue, such indications should have become apparent by now.

Now if I could not have the full wrapper with sender's and recipient's addresses I would want it in your described manner for a solid used example..

Pillar Of The Community
4302 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any thoughts about the effect of this configuration on the sheet's value?

I would suggest the fair market price for a used 630 pane would be driven by the centering, whether the margins have been trimmed, any creasing, the attractiveness of the cancel, and any toning from the backing paper. Indeed, the advantage of the backing paper may be little more than holding it all together.

Impossible to evaluate fully without an image.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A clarification is in order. My question did not anticipate the sheet being worth MORE because it is attached to vintage paper. Instead, my question anticipated possible issues with the sheet being attached to paper that MAY be acidic, in which case the value might be degraded accordingly. Ideally, I would be able to report the content of the backing paper, but unfortunately I can't.

I hope that clarifies the nature of my inquiry.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6381 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   09:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you were going to have toning from the backing paper, I'd expect there to be evidence of such on the perforations - presumably you have a decent image to look at.
Valued Member
United States
222 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

An image of the sheet and the reverse, for what it's worth. I wish I knew the chemistry of the backing paper. I suppose that after 95 years of attachment, any deleterious interaction between the sheet and the paper would have run its course by now... maybe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1072 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if the price is good, purchase it. You can always soak the sheet from the backing paper, but doing so risks perforation separations.

A quick search and count on eBay shows 101 full unused 630 sheets and only three (3) used sheets, two on full cover and one on nothing. As to resale value, the used is likely to hold up better.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7128 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good looking sheet!

I would not soak it off the paper. The chances of keeping the sheet intact through soaking would be quite slim, in my opinion.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7906 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BFRomeos, if you are worried about the backing paper, a ph pen is not very expensive and can tell you if the paper is unsafe or not.
I do agree with bookbndrbob, leave it on the paper!
https://www.amazon.com/Lineco-Testi...1U7K&keyword

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
4302 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks toned, although evenly toned. It would be interesting to see a scan with other 629/630 singles/blocks next to it (or any of the 2-cent reds of that era, for that matter) and compare paper color.

Crease into top of stamp 2.

Centering is quite poor, particularly toward the bottom, although admittedly a challenge on these. Cancels are not particularly crisp and clear.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 557Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05