Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI All New To This But Inherited Approx 50 Albums

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 367Next Topic  

United Kingdom
0 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Blade Babe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Guess I now have loads of questions
I am looking at an Album called "The Ideal Postage stamp Album for the general user" Third Edition.It contains stamps from around 1870 to around 1920.
This has loads of countries stamps in and I have just been looking at China (German post offices in) and have 2 stamps from 1900 that appear to be 1900 German Empire postage stamps overprinted CHINA.
These are values 5pf and 20 pf Green and Blue respectively.
Having found these in Stampworld catalogue on line they appear to be listed as having values of upto 1500 and 3000 Euros respectively.
I am not getting excited as I am sure they won't be the same stamp.
The stamps in the catalogue are shown with the overprint "China" diagonally across the stamp, yet the ones in my album have the overprint horizontal above the word REICHSPOST.
As I said new to this but any pointers to clarify?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6381 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   08:13 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just as well you aren't getting excited. . I don't know what you're looking at online, but these aren't scarce or valuable stamps. Ideal albums with contents usually do well on eBay, if you're disposing of the album.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10445 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   08:20 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
One of the challenging things about stamp collecting is properly IDing the stamps since many of them have common varieties and rare varieties. And another caution is that you often cannot trust the placement in the albums as being correct. Please also be aware that catalog values are often nowhere near actual market values. (As you can tell, I am trying to lower your expectations a bit).

A good approximator of an inherited collection is previous person's wealth and amount they spent on their stamps. The two 1901 German 'Office in China' are worth a few dollars but are not rare.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The diagonal overprints you're referencing are the 1898 issue, and can be quite valuable. The two you have pictured are from 1901, and much less so.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
659 Posts
Posted 05/13/2022   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
Posted 05/14/2022   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Blade Babe,

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences. Russ
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05