Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Two Early Covers From Germany.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 274Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
12 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Shangy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend has a few stamps and covers he has no idea about, they look pretty cool. Unfortunately they are phone pictures, as he doesn't have a scanner.

Can someone help?

Thank you
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1513 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you ever heard of the Battle of Waterloo (1815) where Napoleon Bonaparte was defeated? It is in Belgium, just south of the capital Brussels.

Both covers are Belgian. The stamps are German stamps overprinted 'BELGIEN' for use in German-occupied Belgium.

The first is addressed to a Gunner of the 6th, German Landsturm artillery battery, apparently stationed in Germany Antwerp, Belgium. The stamped address might imply it was a philatelic cover. The family name is of Prussian origin. The item is cancelled at Waterloo. It was sent registered as the label with register number for Waterloo and the German word 'EINSCHREIBEN' indicate.

The second cover appears cancelled at Sclessin that now is a neighbourhood of Liège (Luik).

edit Germany ==> Antwerp, Belgium as address for first cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by NSK - 05/15/2022 08:27 am
Valued Member
Australia
12 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shangy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NSK, thankyou. Yes I have heard of Waterloo, I never expected to see a Registered cover with that name.

My friend is lucky, thank you for the information and help.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7234 Posts
Posted 05/15/2022   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both of these cancellations are listed in Willy Van Riet's Catalogus der Afstempelingen van de Duitse Bezetting in Belgie 1914-1918 (1982). They are not rare, but carry a slight premium. The catalog lists 1240 town and neighborhood names, along with some railway posts offices.
Valued Member
Australia
12 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shangy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you bookbndrbob, I wilk pass the information on to my friend, hopefully he will be pleasantly surprised.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 274Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05