Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Philatelic Fragment - What Stamp Is It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1428 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trainwreck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this stamp fragment in a cover I bought off eBay a couple of years ago.

Since that time, I've tried to identify the stamp just for the fun of it. No luck so far after combing through the Scott catalogs a couple of times. So, I thought I'd let the rest of you join the fun.
The fragment shows some scroll work and part of a "5". Two perforations span 3.30mm making it gauge 12. It's brown.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Robert
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35502 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may be throwing out a red herring.
The "5" is debatable.

A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important question. It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or audiences toward a false conclusion. A red herring may be used intentionally, as in mystery fiction or as part of rhetorical strategies (e.g., in politics), or may be used in argumentation inadvertently.

The term was popularized in 1807 by English polemicist William Cobbett, who told a story of having used a strong-smelling smoked fish to divert and distract hounds from chasing a rabbit

polemicist
A person who engages in controversial debate.
"a brilliant polemicist with an independent critical mind"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/16/2022 8:28 pm
Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I instantly thought of this Canadian airmail stamp (C1) and compared it to the left 5 and thought I was wrong but then I realized that it was the right 5 and that the two have slightly different designs around them.
Edited by stampfan - 05/16/2022 8:31 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35502 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done stampfan
Note that Robert's 5 is joined to the scroll.

Valued Member
Canada
5 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think the 5 is actually joined to the scroll. I think it is just the white paper from the torn edge makes it look like they are connected. The image is not high enough resolution for me to confirm.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35502 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it is just the white paper from the torn edge makes it look like they are connected.

I think your right !
Again...well done.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 05/16/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Well done.
I was thinking it was South American, so spent most of my time looking there.
Solved. Thanks.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
599 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This felt like a modified version of EdziuMM's friday stamp puzzle post …although it may be hard to offer a bigger version on the Saturday
Edited by stamps101 - 05/17/2022 11:10 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05