Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New York City Rescinds Regulations On [philatelic] Auction Firms

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,014Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Oh boy !!!!

Quote:
...New York City Council has lifted long-standing rules on how auction firms conduct their business....

Other restrictions being abolished relate to disclosures that auction firms are required to make in the name of transparency and fairness, such as the existence of reserve bids over the low estimate and whether an auctioneer or third party has a financial stake in an item being sold.

Rules about practices such as chandelier bidding, a form of shill bidding in which an auctioneer pretends to take bids in order to reach a hidden reserve, will also be relaxed....

See: https://www.linns.com/news/auctions...uction-firms

This is great news!!!

What could go wrong?

Let the fleecing begin...

Edit: To add my emphasis and title word [insertion].
Send note to Staff
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/17/2022 01:50 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!!!!!

So they are relaxing regulations to ALLOW (ENCOURAGE???????) unethical behavior? So much for protecting the consumer.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2852 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   04:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How upmarket! I've never heard "chandelier bidding" but I knew it as "bidding against the water cooler ". And the only place where I saw it being obviously done was a charity auction by an (unlicensed) auctioneer (I checked). "Oh, but it was for charity." Yeah, sure.

mootermutt, how does one detect shill bidding and other shenanigans, much less prove it? That's pretty much impossible to prove in court and we'll need an example where a bidder successfully sued any auction house anywhere for fraud on that basis. So, it's been (another) useless package of laws, probably seen as driving sales (and their associated sales taxes) out of NYC. Scott Trepel of Siegel's said in the article: "There was absolutely no compliance enforcement and the bonding process was pointless".

Bidders often come in being suspicious, some up to the point of paranoia and are always heard grumbling about getting run up on lots. The latter is baloney from someone who had the responsibility of running the bid book in many auctions. But they go absolutely ballistic if the auctioneer misses their halfhearted-looking bid using a limp wrist held at desk-level. Why not just do your homework and (essentially) stick to a bid you've pre-set?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
mootermutt, how does one detect shill bidding and other shenanigans, much less prove it?

One simple way is to have an insider testify. Not that it happens often. I came up with that one in 5 seconds. I am sure there are other ways that could take5 or 10 minutes of thinking it through. But without the laws as they are now, the auction houses can behave as they want with impunity. Just because a law is tough to prove or prosecute doesn't mean we should simply scrap it. That is completely ludicrous. Let's at least have laws that makes wrong behavior wrong. At least, in theory, it is prosecutable. Other than admitting that the bad guys have won, why get rid of a law that tells us where the line of morality is?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Scott Trepel, the president of Robert A. Siegel Auction Galleries, also in Manhattan, was more scathing: "There was absolutely no compliance enforcement and the bonding process was pointless. Sotheby's chairman went to prison because of criminal conduct," Trepel said, referring to Alfred Taubman's 2002 conviction for price-fixing. "They never lost their license. What does that tell you?"

From the story.......
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds as if somebody made a sizable campaign donation…..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are all kinds of games played at stamp auction houses .Somebody needs to write a book ,but it needs input from a insider. The sad part is I learned some of these games the hard way by being the sucker in the game .

This whole business of getting better prices for auction lots has changed greatly with all the internet /online buyers so there has been new methods developed by the firms .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
672 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why get rid of a law that tells us where the line of morality is?

Laws and morality don't necessarily coincide, nor should one rely on the former to indicate the latter.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This definitely seems like a strange action from NYC.

In general, I am not in favor of over-regulating most businesses. In this case, however, if there are regulations in place that people feel are functionally ineffective, but, in fact, might provide a moral barrier that would preclude some from going too far, then it seems pointless to remove them, and possibly beneficial to keep them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are all kinds of games played at stamp auction houses .Somebody needs to write a book ,but it needs input from a insider. The sad part is I learned some of these games the hard way by being the sucker in the game .

This whole business of getting better prices for auction lots has changed greatly with all the internet /online buyers so there has been new methods developed by the firms .

Don't forget the scandal in which the syndicate manipulated stamp auctions:

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/200...amp-auctions
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
160 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The NYC auction house regulations have been a joke for years. The idea may [emphasis on may] be good, but when there is no supervision / control, having them only gives a false sense of security to the naive. Buyer beware is and always has been the rule.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Laws and morality don't necessarily coincide, nor should one rely on the former to indicate the latter.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
555 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I bid in person, I stand in the very back of the room flat against the wall. This allows me to see everything and read the room. Helps me understand which empty chair, fire extinguish or post is likely bidding against me as they seem to be the stiffest competitors on the floor.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the term "chandelier bidding" . For some the process can be an emotional event and the auction firms want to exploit it.

To me, it is just a fixed price sale made to look like an auction.

The problem is not everyone can agree on a common set of morals. I was in the Far East on business and discussing some behavior and they just said the people under discussion were "businessmen" meaning business first, most everything else second.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/18/2022 06:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The city was too busy ensuring small businesses were shut down the past two years to spend time on silly things like bad auction behavior. Rigging a bid did not come close to going maskless in that new world. And if you are going to let felons back out on the street immediately and repeatedly why tackle rich people being fleeced. I mean come on now.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,014Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05