Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New York City Rescinds Regulations On [philatelic] Auction Firms

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,005Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The city was too busy ensuring small businesses were shut down the past two years to spend time on silly things like bad auction behavior.

And exactly how much time have you spent in NYC over the last few years to "know" so much of what is going on here?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2944 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris Harmer used to joke (foolishly in the middle of an auction) that the potted plant in the back of the room was his best bidder.

typo fixed
Edited by eyeonwall - 05/18/2022 8:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And exactly how much time have you spent in NYC over the last few years to "know" so much of what is going on here?

Stop by sometime Bart.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What bar is that?
Valued Member
473 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What bar is that?

That's my place.

I let Rog stay there when he is in town on business.

Edited by StateRevs - 05/18/2022 9:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I let Rog stay there when he is in town on business.

And thank you once again for your hospitality.

PS: Sorry about that stain on the carpet in the conservatory. Bad dog.
Valued Member
473 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And thank you once again for your hospitality.

We do need to discuss a missing case of Lagavulin however...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The nanny did it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I triangulate from the Chrysler Building, et al, I can determine exactly where you live. Since you were kind enough to show us your place, would you mind terribly letting us know where the safe is inside, and the combi??? Oh yeah, and where you keep the Lagavulin?

I just love the free flow of info and ideas on these forums!!!! Most useful!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I consider this type of bidding as very umethical, it is not an event relative to safety or national interest. Stamps are not critical commodities and bidders are not forced to bid.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/19/2022 06:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lagavulin is just one of many fine products from Islay.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mootermutt, I don't know where you are (Texas?) but in the rest of the US, physical proof has to be presented, not just based on a whistleblower insider's say-so. If your neighbor who's mad at you tells police that you're a terrorist, then should you get sent to a SuperMax prison based on his/her word? You also need to find out what happened to the Boeing quality control group that turned whistleblowers.

Parcelpostguy, guess what, you can be anywhere and can still get run up without knowing. There is the guy with the bidbook on the computer who can do it just as easily as the auctioneer.

And just what is it that an auction company in New York City needs another layer of paid licensing (and zero oversight) over the auction laws already existing in New York state? NYC is in New York state. If you know that New York state auction codes are so bad, please let us know, including the sections and subsections. That can be looked up.

In the end, I see a lot of bidder paranoia. If things were that bad generally, sane individuals wouldn't be bidding with certain auctions or even auctions at all. Otherwise, you're just complaining about not being able to game people that you think are gaming you.

You have viewed items beforehand and are able to come up with some figure to bid. Why can't you just stick to that bid and go no further? Duh. If you're always losing, it's because you've figured things badly or the lots are reserved. If you're always chasing overbids, you not only marked yourself as a target and but probably just don't have self-control period.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,005Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05