Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 26A Or Another Illusion

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,010Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Of the dozens of stamps I'm looking at marked as 26A, this one is the closest I see to being maybe, actually a 26A. But I'm not holding my breath. Is the top reperfed? Probably.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Top perfs looks suspect, especially right above the period between the S and P.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed - I'm saying top is reperforated, but that still doesn't answer if it is a legit 26A or not. Though I'm leaning towards bottom row 26 after staring at it for a while. Let's see if there are any other views.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RLSNY --

Given the bends in the FL's -- especially the RFL -- your stamp is definitely a Scott #26A.

The stamp also has a GD in between the LRDB and RFL -- so that eliminates the bottom row -- and makes it a 6th row F relief.

Agree with others that the perfs at top look "played with" -- although we have all seen dancing perfs and inconsistent inside perf hole edges due to bent perf pins and pulled perf disc chads (which are notorious on the 1857 perforated issues). Still, I agree that on this stamp, the perfs at top have been "improved" if not fully reperforated.

I sent a scan to a fellow collector who specializes in this issue -- and am hoping to have a definitive plate position for you later today.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, thank you for the great info - as always. I decided to scan this whole set of "26A" stamps. Please don't spend significant time on them. I decided not to list them as 26As on eBay because I just go by the frame lines and none of them convinced me. But if there are any that you think deserve closer attention I can try doing a deeper dive. I just know my own limits when it comes to plating.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey RLSNY --

On your original post stamp -- (i.e., the one with the questionable perfs at top) -- I am told that the stamp is position 57R11 -- but the state of the plate is undetermined -- definitely not "Late state" -- but more study is needed to determine if Early or Intermediate state.

On that card you posted with the dozen stamps -- I am still a beginner when it comes to the 1857 perforated type III and type IV stamps (as I have only recently gotten serious about learning how to plate the issue). Plus the scan quality is nowhere near suitable for plating purposes on these (as you have jammed 12 stamps into a single scan limited to an overall size of 300kb).

That all said -- off the cuff I see a few top row unrepaired A reliefs -- and a few obvious bottom row stamps -- but beyond that -- while there are perhaps a few that look like they might by type IV candidates -- without a higher resolution scan I am not even going to try to guess.

Perhaps somebody with more experience on the 1857 3-cent type III and type IV's can weigh in here.

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ioagoa. I'm not expecting anything from this bunch. If there are any that anyone would like me to blow up I'm happy to do so.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again RLSNY --

I just got word from a fellow plater who specializes in the 1857 3c perforated issue that the stamp in your original post is from the Early state of the plate -- so 57R11E.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   10:48 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there any open site online that has plate 11 information? My initial search turned up zero.
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi RLSNY --

Quote:
Is there any open site online that has plate 11 information? My initial search turned up zero.

Unlike the 1851 imperforate 3-cent issue -- where we have the Chase photo's and a ton of online resources (e.g., stampplating.com, stampsmarter database, etc, etc) -- I am not aware of any comprehensive resource for the #26A plates at the present time (i.e., plates 10 and 11) -- at least not yet.

I say "at least not yet" as I am aware of a number of initiatives to make images of confirmed copies of stamps from plates 10 and 11 available (and in all 3 states -- Early, Intermediate, and Late -- so a total population of 1,200 stamps -- at least to the extent that they have been confirmed and tied in by multiples) -- but alas -- for the time being -- these are all "works in process".

Regards // ioagoa

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   2:34 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am fortunate to have some of these stamps and would very much appreciate some analysis to assist me in evaluating the varieties.

Knowing the limitations of the images some direction in which stamps might warrant better scans would be appreciated and I wish to thank in advance for those who take time here in furtherance of the hobby.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a better image of what I believe is a 26A

Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot --

Your stamp with the JUN 26 cds cancel is a type III -- Scott # 26.

It is a top row unrepaired A relief -- and with a GD showing at upper right as well.

That bend at the top of the LFL is the result of the engraving tool going "off-line" against the straight edge guide at the beginning (or end) of the FL scribing.

Generally speaking, the FL's are way too straight and way too strong to be a type IV -- Scott # 26A.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny:
I used to use this Photoshop trick to look for the telltale crooked frame lines of 26A in eBay lots. I don't see any good candidates in your scan but maybe someone with better eyes will spot one or more of interest. (Click image to see full-size.)
Edited by ttreen - 05/18/2022 11:00 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ioagoa, I appreciate your having a look and sharing your knowledge with the community here and especially on the 1851-57 thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at that too. Here are the three that have the least straight frame lines.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,010Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05