Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Cents US Postage Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Valued Member

Croatia (Locally: Hrvatska)
9 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gigi waiter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,I'm new and confused and need some help and advice.Have nace us postage stamp 5 cents G.Washington blue(1908-1919).Iff somebody know more about it.TNX.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7955 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All you need and want to know: stampsmarter.org

https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...rank_ID.html

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 05/17/2022 2:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3960 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this link will get you to a better starting point for identifying the Washington-Franklins

https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/wa...ankmain.html
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gigi waiter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks,but it's seems to be 12x10 perf????.What do you mean??
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6466 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you accurately measured the perforations, using a gauge? Then go to the appropriate stamp on the site.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1314 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know how to measure perforations? Do you have a perf gauge?
For one thing, don't try counting perforations. The perf gauge measurement is the number of perforations within a distance of 2 cm. The top edge of your stamp is approximately 2 cm wide ... so one could perhaps get an estimate by counting the perforations along that edge. But using a gauge would be better.
Many U.S. stamps use the same gauge size in both horizontal & vertical directions. Your stamp would appear to be perf 10 along the top & bottom ... I'm not aware of any compound perf stamps that are perf 10 along the top, so the vertical gauge is also probably 10. You could verify this without a perf gauge by using a "ruler" to verify that the same number of perforations appear along both horizontal & vertical edges within the same fixed distance.
Once you know the perf measurements, use the Stamp Smarter guide.
Added: Compound perforations occur when the gauge size is different in the horizontal & vertical directions. Common usage is to give the horizontal gauge first, then the vertical. So a 11x10.5 perf stamp is perf 11 along the top & bottom and perf 10.5 along the sides.
Edited by JLLebbert - 05/17/2022 3:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7955 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please do not count or measure the perforations. This only leads to frustration, especially if you are just into stamps. A gauge is cheap - you can even print one from the stampsmarter website

Peter
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 05/17/2022   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gigi waiter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks to all of you who tried to help me about my problem.this is not a singleone problem but 47 problems,because I own so meny 5 cents stamps.For me they look similary ,some are with watermark(double and single)flatplate.Because i'm not a profesional and filatelist,the only way to lern about stamps in last 10 mounth is internet.Once again thank you for your support.!#10084;#65039;
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05