Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rasdale Auction Listings

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 693Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the latest Rasdale auction and it seems to mostly be lots from a worldwide collection.

There were some lots of very modern material (seemed a lot wall paper issues) with high bids already posted although some did not meet the minimum.
Send note to Staff
Al
Edited by angore - 05/19/2022 06:32 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7234 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you mean Rasdale.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/18/2022   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They always have something I like if not something to expand my collection ,then something to sort thru on those hot sunny days in Florida .

I think I am the oldest active bidder that Rasdale has, bidding for over 50 years , They had N.Y.STAMPS as their most active bidder ,they would buy pallets of stamps and spend $200,000 to $250,000 per auction and do that for years .My guess is that they now have 3 or 4 bidder numbers ,maybe even a dozen bid numbers so nobody on the floor can track what their doing with their new system of on line bidding .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you think having all those bid numbers affect the end realized results although one may not know who actually purchased it?
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With this on-line bid placing of bids it changed the feel and understanding of how other bidders react . Years ago you can watch the pattern of other floor bidders . That has been lost .

I watched N.Y.Stamps for a few auctions and got a feel of some of these patterns . One item that puzzled me and I mentioned it in previous post here . It was N.Y.S. buying lots of junk boxes, auction after auction ,these were just bulk cheap stamps . I started watch their E-BAY sales but all that cheap stuff wasn't showing up. So I thought it was going overseas ,but no here agreed with me .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Other than shill bidding I can think of no advantage to one bidder having multiple ID's. And how does it work given that the auction firm has to approve each bidder individually.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2853 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Multiple bidder numbers are for the bidder's internal accounting, however they want to do things. They may be billed to different account names where the accounts are for different purposes, like resale, "check for stamp stock", funded by different investors, what have you. Then again, multiple bidder numbers might just be to try to throw others off that NYStamps is bidding on all those lots so people that think "If a dealer is bidding this much, then I can outbid them" won't always try to outbid them.

floortrader, I suspect that NYStamps has other places to sell junk lots outside of eBay. They could easily sell on eBay under a different alias to avoid tainting the "brand" name, but packing and shipping large lots is obnoxious and relatively costy. If I were NYStamps, I'd be breaking multibox lots down into smaller ones and putting them in small general auctions around the region. Load up a van and hit the road doing business along the way. Those small guys get anything up to some wild prices for junk boxes; I stopped looking at stamps and coins in general auctions because they were all junk and went for high prices.

I remember one individual collector that always used 3 numbers. One was for the collector's collection, the others were for two retirement accounts with different titles/names as they appeared on the auction bills. Since the buyer tended to be the ten per cent type bidder (where nobody else bid), I can only guess that he made out okay since he got at least a couple worthy lots every sale.
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/19/2022 10:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anybody know what NYStamps bidder number is for Rasdale?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago they had a Rasdale staff /employee sitting up front with the agents who was on the phone doing the bidding for N.Y.S . Now, I don't know how it is done .
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 693Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05