Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japanese Marking On 1909 Cover To France

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 172Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
45 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dandow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Help on Japanese transit marking. Cover originates in Kurume, Fukuoka with Kobe transit and Menat receiver (on back). Via Siberia in English, but I do not recognize the Japanese transit marking.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
671 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top two characters are Japanese for Buddha I think, and the bottom two characters are Saigyo, the name of a famous medieval Japanese Buddhist poet. Don't know what (if anything) the four kanji might mean when all together, or their significance on this cover.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 4th kanji is "yuki", which can be translated as "via", so the first 3 are some destination. The simple meaning of the 3rd kanji is "west" and the simple meaning of the 2nd kanji is "orchid", and I don't recognize the first kanji. But many foreign destination names are based on ateji, so the meanings may have little to do with the destination...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed ateji. The first 3 characters can be read "fu-ran-su", or "France". Never seen this before but this does surprisingly appear in an online dictionary: http://www.romajidesu.com/dictionar...8%A5%BF.html

Edited by hy-brasil - 05/20/2022 08:09 am
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, hy-brasil! I didn't know about romajidesu.com. I have been using jisho.org
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
dandow, thanks for the link, too. The more references the better, I think.

I actually ended up there by finding the characters in a Chinese character site by stroke count. Not the problem here, but many things I've looked for involved traditional characters in either language so that's been a problem.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05