Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Qualifies As A Revenue Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 327Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Even after collecting Thailand revenue stamps for 25++ years, I am still sometime confused what qualifies as a revenue.
I will give a sample below.
The Thailand document is a permission or license to operate a HAM radio in 1938.
In the top right is a label or stamp with some serial number written inside.
I am sure money had to be paid to acquire this license.
The label/ stamp is not listed anywhere.
So what is it, label or revenue? Please give me your thoughts on this.
Thanks

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The label reads: Post and telegraph department number 10/481
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3328 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   07:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be it was just a label showing the document was registered and sealed by the Siam post.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
660 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am still sometime confused what qualifies as a revenue.

The UPU requires that postage stamps have an express face value; I'd imagine any definition of revenue stamp would have something similar. So, since this sticker has no value printed or written upon it, it's not a revenue stamp, and is indeed a label.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7931 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revenue stamps would normally have a value either in money or in product quantity; however if all radios were treated equally and a fee was identical in all cases it might not necessarily have one. More research is needed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
775 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The FIP definition of a revenue includes: (1) shows payment of a fee or tax or that the object is exempt from a tax, (2) shows that one has a credit with the government, or (3) pays a fee for a government service. In much of my writing about the definition of revenues I have amplified this last category to include registrations or license fees. So I would include your example as a revenue stamp. Just because it does not appear in a Thai revenue catalog, should not be interpreted as it is not a revenue. In fact the Scott U.S.Specialized lists less than half the federal revenue stamps.

Parenthetically, one should note that the last category probably includes postage stamps, as they pay a fee for a government service. So, postage stamps are simply a subcategory of revenue stamps!!
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks revenuermd.

The stamp on the document and the loose stamp have the logo of the Post and Telegraph department of Thailand. Can the post department be considered a government department?

Also as separate question, are airport departure fee receipts or stamps also considered as revenue stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
775 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jossanders52. Airport departure fees payable with stamps are certainly revenues. In every case I know, there is an agency created by legislation of some sort that gives the "taxing" authority to these agencies. Here in the US I believe these agencies are referred to as airport authorities.
Ron Lesher
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35453 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jos,
I would direct enquiries here, for possible ID

https://www.qsl.net/rast/text/licensing2016.html

Email address: hs1fvl(AT)gmail.com

Edited by rod222 - 05/22/2022 7:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod,
will contact them for more info.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 327Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05