Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan Envelop With Or Without Postal Connection?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 239Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
45 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dandow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I acquired this envelop in a large lot of turn of last century Japan covers and I have been wondering if it has any postal connection. Unfortunately for me, the main text is in seal script, which I am not able to read.
I think the seal script starts with Dai (big) then ?, 2, 10, 5, year (perhaps 1925?). Don't know the rest. However, the year in the western calendar is strange to see in seal script, which usually has the year in regnal years.
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2852 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since there has been no response yet, I will throw out a semi-educated guess on this envelope.

I seem to vaguely remember from that octagonal logo that these were sleeves for parts of sets of post cards. Do you have anything in the group that would be that? And is it the right size/width?

The long boxed imprint is "second page, first group, price: gold 20 sen".

They never wrote year dates like that back in the day. In the octagon, it's "Daima (? - a guess), 25th year, ????" Third line is art "something". I want to say "ehagaki" (picture post card) but the middle character is a traditional/one unknown to my references.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/23/2022 06:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the octagon, it's "Daima (? - a guess), 25th year, ????" Third line is art "something". I want to say "ehagaki" (picture post card) but the middle character is a traditional/one unknown to my references.

Yes, the word in the bottom line is "ehagaki". I found a cursive form of the "ha" (leaf) character in Oreste Vaccari's Standard Kanji that has essentially the same shape as the one on the envelope.

The characters in the second line that you couldn't decipher are "kinen" (commemoration). I'm a fan of a J-pop group called Melon Kinen-bi, which means Melon Commemoration Day.

I'm fairly certain that the second character (from the right) in the first line is "kon" (marriage). If so, then that first word is "taikon", which Nelson's kanji dictionary translates as "imperial wedding". The whole inscription would thus mean "Imperial Wedding 25th Anniversary Commemorative Picture Postcard(s)". Since the Emperor Taishô and Empress Teimei were married in 1900, that would match up with the pencilled date of 1925 on the envelope.

Edited by erilaz - 05/24/2022 11:12 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
155 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomonakaazu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would applause your collaborative speculation abilities!
You are right both erilaz and hy-brasil, this is an envelope/package for a set of postcard and description note to celebrate 25th anniversary of Taisho emperor's marriage, issued on 10 May 1925. I guess dandow has a beautiful embossed postcard with a few stamps on, to show us after this envelope? I follow up reading of some other images;

image 2; -read each character from right to left, from top raw;
tai kon (imperial marriage) ni ju
go nen (25 years) ki nenn (anniversary)
e ha gaki (post card)

image 3;
Toppan Insatsu Kabusikigaisha (Toppan Print Inc. still exits https://www.toppan.com/en/?_ga=2.24....1654772814) "HB" patent print-plate production

image 4;
A pair of 2, price 20 sen

image 5;
Teishinsho (first 3 letters - Ministry of Communications) Hakko (issuing) - read from right to left, same as the large title of image 2.

Modern characters are written from left to right, also many of them in these images are simplified - even for me not easy to read.
Edited by tomonakaazu - 06/09/2022 07:28 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 239Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05