Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steiner Pages - Bohemia And Moravia / Bohren / Mahren

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If you plan to print Bill Steiner's pages for the subject country, and don't want to waste paper, it would be helpful for you to understand that the pages are in three files. First, look at Classic / Czechoslovakia pages 42-47, then look at Worldwide / Czechoslovakia_Bohemia pages 1-13 and then look at Worldwide / Czechoslovakia_1940, pages 1-14. Some of the pages are in all three files (42-45 and 13, 7 and 13, 7 respectively); some are in two files (none and 4-6, 8-13 and 4-6, 8-9,11-14, respectively); and some are in only one file (46,47 and none and 10, respectively).

For simplicity, learned the hard way, print 42-47 and 4-6, 8-13 and 10, respectively. Hope helpful,
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good information to share. I know I have already mounted those stamps, but I don't recall specifically what method I used. I know that Steiner pages can differ between Classic and Worldwide, even for what you might think should be an exact match. I don't understand why the Classic pages wouldn't simply be a subset of the Worldwide as it seems extra work to maintain two versions. Anyway, my method has been to open up all of the PDFs that are relevant for what section I am working on and print the pages that match the best (modifying if needed). I use the Scott Classic 1840-1940 catalogue as the winning rule when deciding what to try to match as far as listings. I have not printed any pages without first looking at the PDF to see if they match the catalog. I also try to spot check frame sizes just to make sure they will be good. There are many frames that are consistently not the correct size, such as the 1949 UPU set that is similar across the British Commonwealth and the Portuguese Pombal postal tax and postal tax due sets of three that are similar across Portugal and its colonies.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. I've never had any problem finding the pages I need (including classic era) in the Worldwide folder. I figured Classic was just a subset of Worldwide and never bother to look in there (because I have never had to).

Robert
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For whatever reason, I have had issues printing from classic when overprint examples are on the pages, i.e. they don't print, but they do from the worldwide page that matches. That said, the classic pages are almost always the most accurate, especially for the Ceres issues where there are more majors listed in classic catalog than in standard catalog.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I knew the classic and worldwide were out of sync but have not seen that many differences. I usually work from the worldwide set and have not found as a rule that classic was "better".

I assume Bill split the pages into year grouping to keep file size down in the days when broadband was not available. For any country I use, I combine them all into one PDF and rearrange to match Scott order so move air mail and semi-postals to back. In some cases, one may want to redo some pages to combine split groups,
Al
Edited by angore - 05/28/2022 06:26 am
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First, I am inordinately grateful to Mr. Steiner for all of his good work! My reason for writing was for someone who might search the subject, find it and it would be helpful. There are a number of other aspects that I did not write about, i.e., pages with different combinations of stamps, pages with different sizes for the same stamp, etc. I print on 140 lb. paper ("index" cardstock) at the local office supply (remarkably inexpensive) as I have not had good experience with my own printer. In hindsight, the idea of studying prior to printing is good, although I had not found it necessary earlier.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely agree that Mr. Steiner's work is fantastic. I hope I didn't come across as complaining. It's nearly an impossible task to do what he has done. My perfectionist side likes to make sure of things before printing. Because I use mounts and want a consistent 2mm around all sides, accepting 1mm variance, I try to be sure. It's like measuring twice and cutting once. I have on several occasions sent corrections back to Bill and he has made the updates.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For several years while I was first doing my pages I'd send Bill the updated pages for the Classic, with much more depth than Scott covered and resized boxes to match the actual stamp sizes. Eventually though I stopped working with the standard page size and switched from Pagemaker to inDesign so stopped doing that. My guess is others have helped him as well and likely the current Classic pages are much more advanced than what was available then...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5926 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with all the positive statements about Mr. Steiner and his work on the self print pages . I believe a lot of us have send him corrections over many years and each time I purchase his DVD always seen that he updates them .

Starting to see nice printed pages showing up at public auction . Make it easier to transfer stamps from a purchased set to my own albums . The plus is they are a easy resale by album or as a collection of album pages .
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05