Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identification Of Swiss Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 348Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add thefinfin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, I need help identifying 8 Swiss stamps. I do not collect Swiss stamps. The different papers and fine to rough impressions have thrown me for a loop. Any help would be much appreciated. These are the first four.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2852 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You don't always need to determine fine or rough impressions; it's basically about the thread colors first.

The 20r orange looks like the thread has been pulled out long ago, not uncommon. A dip in watermark fluid would tell you if the thread is there. However, the 1859 date says this is Scott 39.

The green thread (Scott has it as emerald) says the leftmost 40r is either Scott 19 or 40. This is a fine impression (none of the others are), so that one is a 19. EDIT: this look like there is an overall adherence on the back; this doesn't look like the normal thin paper with embossing showing through to the back.

The maroon thread says the other 40r is Scott 29.

The black thread says the 1fr is Scott 30.

Be aware that Scott prices reflect sound stamps with 4 margins outside the framelines. Anything less is worth much, much less.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 05/26/2022 7:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you hy-brasil for both of your replies and time in writing a reply. I had in mind to sell these on eBay. In your opinion what would be a fair percentage of Scott to ask for on eBay?
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will also check the back of the first 40r to see if there is part of an envelope. If I find something unusual I will post another picture of it. Could it be something else other then a Sc.19?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3957 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In your opinion what would be a fair percentage of Scott to ask for on eBay?

Not an expert by any means, but these are all close cropped, with large hinge remnants. I would think 10% of Scott might even be too high. Some suggest starting with 99 cents and seeing where the market takes it. You may also want to check actual eBay sales (not offered price) to see what has happened in the past year or so. Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partime, thank you for your opinion. I was thinking starting between 20-30% with the best offer available.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
160 Posts
Posted 05/26/2022   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Fin Fin - good luck w your sale, but I'm in agreement w Partime. Stamps are in rough shape given the trimming.
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys, here is Sc.39

Dipped in fluid and did not see any thread.
Edited by thefinfin - 05/27/2022 9:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys, here is Sc.19

Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys, here is Sc.29.

Edited by thefinfin - 05/27/2022 8:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys, here is Sc.30.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2852 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Upon further examination, what I thought was Scott 19 is 40; the paper just isn't thin enough (embossing should clearly show through) and the impression has unprinted specks of white and therefore falls more in line with the rough prints. Sorry about that, but I can only do so much with scans.

I also agree with Partime and BobinRye. You might try a start at less than 5% of Scott catalog value. The 2r does have 4 margins but if it is without the thread, that's a real price killer. I would then expect to rerun most of those at a lower start price. An alternative is to trade them for some classics in similar condition that you do collect.

Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thefinfin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Hy-Brasil for your efforts in providing me with the correct identification.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
939 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rgstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your Scott 29 above is actually Scott 19
Agree with hybrasil that one he thought was 19 is definitely Scott 40

The grid type cancels are generally found on Scott 14-23

Although I cannot tell color of thread based on scan . There are exceptions regarding the cancel type
Edited by rgstamp - 05/28/2022 5:21 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 348Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05