Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ph Testing Of Stamp Supplies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 307Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tested a manila stock page received in a purchase of stamps with a Lineco ph pen. I also tested a piece of paper as a reference sample.

The paper tested ok (purple) but the manila tested non-purple (very hard to see) the pen markings. I classify this as acidic. Of course, the manila card does not look like it was in good condition either.
Send note to Staff
Al

Learn More...
United States
10529 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   08:30 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, acidic.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   12:25 am  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool technique, thank you for sharing! To go further, acidic = bad? The paper would break down a postage stamp if they contacted each other?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acidic is not good.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6452 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   07:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're missing the beauties of Chablis.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8278 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Who stores their stamps in wine?
Pillar Of The Community
1077 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers/Sellers often use cheap fillers like old file folders or cereal box cardboard when they mail stamps, but they probably don't hurt much since they're either not in contact with the stamps which are hopefully in a glassine envelope or something similar, or they're only around the stamps very briefly for as long as the mail takes. If collectors store stamps in contact with acidic materials, that's when the damage can occur. So I wouldn't worry much about the brief time it takes to mail stamps. Even the envelope the stamps are mailed in is likely to be acidic, but the stamps aren't in contact with it, either, so most likely it's okay.

What bothers me in shipping stamps is overuse of scotch (cellophane) tape. I've spent as long as 20 minutes carefully cutting and gently removing one piece of tape after another so the stamps don't get snagged on it as I remove them. It's lazy and irresponsible to slather tape all over a stamp shipment. I wish dealers would find some alternative.

There are other "removable" scotch tapes which might work since they can be peeled off the packaging with no harm done to anything -- or so they claim. But the tape I'm always peeling off glassines and other packing materials is invariably regular scotch tape with an aggressive adhesive. Once that tape attaches itself to a stamp, good luck salvaging it.

Generally, there is no need for tape since it's not necessary to "stick" everything down. Use ziplock baggies, for example. Those along with some file card stock or other heavy paper are all you really need to get the stamps there in good shape. If you must use tape, use very little to hold the baggie (or glassine or whatever you use) in place on the card. One small piece of tape top and bottom is all you need.
Edited by DrewM - 05/29/2022 4:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4580 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been having excessively strong scotch tape woes used in prodigious amounts from China and Eastern Europe. Damaged a stamp recently when dull scissors met tape of steel.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 307Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05