Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1426 8c Missouri Color Registration Circles

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 374Next Topic  
Valued Member

194 Posts
Posted 05/27/2022   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Flipping through some old postage to use, I found this partial plate block of 1426 8c Missouri. The selvage's color registration via yellow circles looked unfamiliar, and I am unable to think of another issue that employed it. I do not have plate blocks of all issues of that era to check. Instead of circles, more familiar is a row of colored boxes. Did any other issues employ circles like 1426?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I rechecked my plate blocks of that era and could not find a single other example of color registration circles in the selvage. Instead of circles, lines and boxes are common. Even the full plate block of the same Missouri issue lacks them as seen in this scan. It could be the circles are found in a different part of the selvage, or maybe only a portion of the Missouri printing has them.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
Posted 05/29/2022   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf10,

I found a note following the listing for 1426 in Scott Specialized. More info available there. There can be "bars, dashes, or dots" in the margin. My plate block has dots. Now I need two more plate blocks!
Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jr. Ratfish, thanks for looking it up. I wonder if bars vs. dots vs lines merely depends on plate position (UL, UR, LL, LR). Maybe a given full sheet has all three margin markings, but a pane has only one of those three?
Learn More...
United States
10530 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   10:59 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is based upon plate number, one plate number group has the circles and the other the marks (based upon looking at a number of full sheets online).
Don
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BaldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have both upper left plate blocks of 12 (#32708-32713 and #32702-32707)with dot registration marks and both lower left with double skewed lines. I don't have any with bars. None of my four right side plate blocks have registration marks.
Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, BaldEagle. There might be enough registration mark varieties for someone to write a book. I flipped through a bunch of plate strips I'd previously forgotten I had. No registration circles, but plenty of skewed lines and boxes, which leaves the ones on that Missouri issue as unique. IIRC that was the first commemorative at the then-new 8 cent rate.

Another unique color registration style I found is on the 25c Idaho issue 2439 that employs filled triangles, as shown.

Edited by Perf10 - 06/01/2022 11:57 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 374Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05