Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Retroreveal Website Status?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,781Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5468 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This morning I reached out to the 4 parties listed on the About page of the Retro Reveal website from my university email account and received a response from the Head of Preservation at the University of Utah library.

Apparently the parties in question have left the university and the site is not being maintained. So while a hosting account may exist somewhere (the domain is registered through 2027), who knows where it actually is located or what support/hosting arrangements are or are not in place. Even though the domain name is registered, the hosting account may have lapsed and been deleted.

It's too bad. A transfer of the technology to Stamp Smarter or some sort of crowdfunded support could have been arranged had we known sooner.

My hope is that one of the other parties that has access to the raw files will reply to my email and we still can facilitate some preservation of the tech.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by revenuecollector - 06/30/2022 09:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5468 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   10:41 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just received a follow-up email with some information with respect to the tech utilized at retroreveal. This may be common/old information, I don't know.

I've sent a follow-up to see who owns the rights to or has physical (digital) copies of the actual source code. If I make any headway I'll post here and also get in touch with Don privately.

Quote:
RetroReveal was built on open source components, with an interactive web site that made it possible for people to process images in different colorspaces without needing specialized knowledge. However, it should be possible for people to replicate the functionality of RetroReveal on their local computer with the following components:

Software

ImageJ - https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/

ImageJ was used to process images on RetroReveal

Color Transformer Plugin for ImageJ - https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/plugins/c...nsforms.html

Note, there is an updated plugin called Color Transformer 2 which may also be useful:
http://www.russellcottrell.com/phot...sformer2.htm

Information taken from:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220123224008/http://retroreveal.org/credits#ipcredits

Color Spaces

Background information about color spaces:
Luo, M. R. (1998). Colour science. In The Colour Image Processing Handbook, ed. by S. J. Sangwine and R. E. N. Horne. London: Chapman & Hall (Springer). 26-66.
Palus, H. (1998). Colour spaces. In The Colour Image Processing Handbook, ed. by S. J. Sangwine and R. E. N. Horne. London: Chapman & Hall (Springer). 67-90.
A listing of Color spaces used on RetroReveal:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220409054915/http://retroreveal.org/glossary
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5468 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Update: it may not be entirely dead yet. I've received another reply that my contact may have initiated some movement at the university end, so they're looking deeper into the details of the site.
Learn More...
United States
10622 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   2:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive downloaded and looked at ImageJ software, it is a standalone open source imaging app which does everything that RetroReveal did. The basic function was to split an image out into color channels but retro reveal then also performed other filters (like 'negative image) and presented them to the user.

Image J does everything but also supports all kinds of customization (it is in JAVA) like scripts and batch files. This is what the RetroReveal site did, it added a webpage interface and used the functionality of the Image J app.

After about 10 minutes of playing with the Windows version of Image J, I got it to split out the color channels and produce a lot of the same images that RetroReveal did (I collect and plat with app like others do with stamps, others might find the learning curve larger).

So the good news is that Image J is open source and is available for anyone to use to replicate a RetroReveal type website. It would take a lot of work and might include some JAVA coding (yuck, I hate JAVA and avoid it whenever I can).
More good news is that anyone can download Image J, spend some time playing with, and have no need for the RetroReveal website.

We should wait and see if Dan hears back from them for now.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3999 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent work on this project. I used Retroreveal quite often, so a good, easy to use replacement would be great for me. Please keep us informed on any other news.
Valued Member
489 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not so technical, so thanks to all for not letting this die.
Pat
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've almost got a replacement website up and running. Are there 3-4 folks here who want to be guinea pigs? The site's still got a long way to go -- need to add a lot more image manipulations, speed it up, make it prettier, etc -- but I'd like to get some feedback on a couple design decisions before I get too far down the road.

If interested, shoot me an e-mail. -- postmaster -at- the name of my website.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo! Postmaster,
I am not skilled enough to assist.
But look forward to the finished product
For years I have desired a Postmark isolation tool.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2603 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In light of the untimely demise of Retro-Reveal, I put together a new site that offers many of the same features.

Postmark-Reveal.com

Dedicated thread for discussion is here.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 2,781Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05