Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This A Scott #7 As Advertised Or A 5A Or.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 493Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 05/31/2022   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jamesg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am pretty unfamiliar with the distinctions between 7,9 and the others but this one stood out to me and bids were high for a 7 but not extreme leaving me wondering what this stamp actually is.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   02:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like a top row (relief "A") from Plate 4. Scott makes all of these Type II, which for imperforate stamps means Scott #7. There is too much contrast in the image for me to be say which top row position it is.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a little more time looking for a top row, plate 4 match for your stamp. I think the position is 1R4. One can see a faint guide line through the guide dot, and a blur in the bottom margin beneath the right plume. Both of these features are on the Neinken map for this position.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
553 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This web site can be useful when plating 1 stamps:

http://www.slingshotvenus.com/Frank...hv_Main.html

The example for 1R4 is damaged and may not help enough, but the site has been useful. It should be used in conjunction with Nienken as it does not have examples of all position.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1613 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To address the original question, there are #7's and then again there are #7's. Those from the top row of Plate 4 (as widglo has identified here) are much scarcer (and hence command higher prices) than many of those from the more common Plate 2, for example.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I recognized Dick Celler's former stamp. I seriously considered getting all of his top row plate 4 material, but settled for only a few.

https://www.rumseyauctions.com/sear.../9/1/desc/25

Rumsey Sale 101 Lot 1321.

I have scans of Dick's old 1c album pages, and he definitely had this mounted in the spot for 6R4, which matches the catalog description. I haven't checked it myself, but I'd certainly go with Dick's plating.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with txstamp; 6R4 must be correct - besides being a Celler plating, the stamp in question is an excellent match to both of Doporto's examples.

I relied heavily on the Neinken map, but after looking at the Doporto examples who has taken his images from a 6-10 R4 strip of Nathan Shmalo, and a 4-6R4 strip of Tyler Moody, I am left wondering if there is something wrong with the Neinken map.

Neinken's location of the guide dot is a little low and a little too far right of ornament Z1, and he has noted none of the blurs or marks in the bottom margin. Interestingly though, the bottom frame line in the Neinken map looks almost exactly the same as the Doporto examples. Perhaps he just didn't feel the need to note everything, and this example simply underscores the need to look at every resource available.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, there are little subtle issues like that throughout the Neinken book.
Its good to mark up one's own copy.
Buy a spare book to "collect" - I used to have about 6 copies, I think I'm down to about 4 now.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 493Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05