Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher Collections Auction 24-25 June 2022

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,631Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8472 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All depends on condition. If there is a lot of CV in classics in typical condition, 15% would be a bad price.
If it were GB with a lot of CV in classics in typical condition, 15% would get you laughed out of the room.

Obviously, but this is the part of my statement that was apparently overlooked:

Quote:
The openings are half of low estimate.

That is 7.5% if my math is correct.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"IF THERE IS A LOT OF CATALOG " another factor is how many of the same stamp makes up the total catalog value . A collection of single stamps will get a higher price in bidding than collections where there are 15 or 20 of the same stamp . . Also at Kelleher you see a lot of collections that have both mint and used mounted on the same page that also will get a lower respond and realise a lower percentage of catalog . That is why viewing is so important .
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1237 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Low estimate on the collection lots being 15-20% of CV seems about right - I calculated the CV for a couple lots where it wasn't given and that fits. Some very nice French colony lots up, but I expect they'll go for far more than I'm prepared to pay. Will be interesting to watch.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last few years we are seeing more and more of descriptions of auction lots as --- stocks ,dealer books ,parallel collections of used and mint , inventory and binders . What is getting harder to find is the single stamp collections . Even the red boxes are getting more of multiple copies of the same stamp in each dealer box . Pushs up the catalog value but who wants that many copies ?

Look how excited the appraiser was with those two multi-volume Internationals that is in today's auction both sets have over 100,000 stamps each and looks like they can go to 10 cents each per stamp .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   4:05 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Living near Danbury is definitely an advantage. As floortrader said, viewing is important. But the PDFs they provide for the big US items are very good quality. I found the estimates I made at home vs. the ones I made in person were usually about the same. But there were a few lots I decided to bid on because I liked what I saw in person.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8472 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canada Lots Update:

The Canada lots went on average for the low estimate (some close below and some close above) with a few outliers at or above high estimate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8472 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just noticed that some of my red boxes that were initially sold by DFK a couple of three years ago were sold yet again. Lots 1979-81 were mine and Kelleher has sold some of them at least two more times since the initial consignment by me, myself and I. They are making more money on these things than any one consignor.

I know that Sandafayre had at least some of these boxes and sold them over the past year.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1237 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw those red boxes - certainly making the rounds...

Followed the country & area collection bidding - on average I'd say on the low end to middle of estimate, with the exception of a few more in demand areas, such as French colonies - not unexpected. Although those went too high for me, did pick up an old Germany lot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another auction over yesterday at Kelleher .......and I over paid .....".over paid" means I though it was worth more than everybody else .

What is more important is I am happy with the results .

As mention by me in a earlier posting here , that there has been a bunch of stamp auctions recently and though that buyers were going to pull back on running up prices ,that is exactly what happen . I know each one of you can find a lot or a collection that was bid up over the last few days . But I am talking about those hundreds of lots that sold or were bid up one or two levels and then the bidding was over . If you go thru all those collection lots and bulk lots you will see this in the prices realised .

Kelleher had a lot and I mean a very lot of bulk material to sell and I am sure they will after studying their results to cut out the huge amount they had up in future auctions ......so what I am trying to say is too many junk lots will actually give the firm lower realise prices per lot ,because buyers will not compete ,they will just wait for the next lot . There are a few lots that buyers looked at and put those on their must have list . But over all they had a lot of stuff in the back room to get rid of and even a fifty boxes in one lot wasn't enough .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   09:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe ROGDAM red boxes are the kiss of death for the buyers . Stamp collector bought his boxes and after receiving them ,has a heart attack and drops dead . Then estate ships them back to Kelleher for resale . This has gone on twice already .......so if you want a long and happy collecting life ,stay away from his boxes .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1419 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   11:09 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kelleher raised their fee from 18% to 20% and I didn't see any notice about that. I'm sure it was in the rules somewhere. Surprise in the invoice.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8472 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe ROGDAM red boxes are the kiss of death for the buyers . Stamp collector bought his boxes and after receiving them ,has a heart attack and drops dead . Then estate ships them back to Kelleher for resale . This has gone on twice already .......so if you want a long and happy collecting life ,stay away from his boxes .

You may be on to something. Not sure if they died from happiness or disappointment. Given that they are being purchased at less than 10% of cv we can guess which it might be. Actually some really, really amazing wheat in those boxes along with the chaff. Each sale leaves more chaff and less wheat no doubt.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny - in defense of Kelleher (I am loathe to do that though) they have charged 20% for a while now, but allowed a 2% discount if the bill was paid within a certain amount of time. Although I don't buy a lot from them, I would go out of my way to get their bill paid ASAP in order to get that 2%. Yes, I noticed this time that the 'rebate' was no longer being offered.

I wonder who is going to be first (maybe it is already happening???) to charge a 25% tip? Now that so many businesses are also charging sales tax for out-of-state buyers, I am at a disadvantage with a local sales tax rate of 10.1%. When interested, I come up with what I am willing to bid NET, so I then deduct the tip (and now the 10.1% sales tax) to determine my high bid. For the longest time, when attending an in-state stamp show, even then the dealers would tend to not add on the sales tax. I perceived that as an 8-10% discount for doing business with them. Because of the way I calculate my bids, I have been VERY unsuccessful lately. It is because of my 'net' bidding calculation that I expect to be buying slightly less from DFK with their tip going up 2%. It's a half or quarter of a bidding increment, so the impact, although not zero, will be small.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   9:48 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like percentage based taxes, there is no excuse for increasing percentage based "tips" or buyer/seller premiums, as they move with the prices. If the prices are going up (they are) then they're getting more money which should like government cover any increased costs without changing the percentage. I must say, nothing bugs me more than increasing the percentage bite out of my purchases/income, etc....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
691 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps are still comparatively cheap. Art auction houses and many general auction houses are now at 25% or higher, sometimes with significant minimum commission (for example, Heritage is at 25%, with a minimum $49 commission on a single lot).
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,631Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05