Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

As Requested - Pics Of The Collection I Inherited

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,454Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dbrite111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted a couple of weeks back about a large collection I inherited recently and have no idea of its value. A few forum members asked me to post pics of the binders which would be a good start. Attached are a 1/3 of the collection, there are many more books. They are not all filled. Am I wasting my time with this collection or could there be value? It's taking up a lot of space in my basement so looking for some advice on how to move forward, if worth it. Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2983 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   6:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is what inside that counts
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4003 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I applaud the idea of first seeing the binders, because then we could tell whether they were just small, home-made, etc. Now we see that they are the type which advanced collectors sometimes use, so that is a good start. However, we now need to see some of the oldest items, which are usually on the first page of each country. Why not start with the US, Great Britain, and one or two others? Just a few pictures of the earliest pages, as long as there are at least a few stamps on that page would tell us a lot. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can deduce nothing from seeing binders. The stamps are what matter and given the size of the holding it will require more than a handful of pics to begin to form a picture of what the collection entails. Same for calling out popular Countries. The US could be weak but the collector had an affinity for more off the beaten track areas. The earlies could be weak but the collector loved mint 1930's material. You get the picture. Avoid generalizations. It appears to be a sizable collection and it will take an in-person viewing by an honest professional to size it up properly.

Yes, pictures here on this forum can be a starting point. A couple of dozen of different areas and eras. You will receive feedback. It will not begin to accurately assess the value of something this size but it is worth doing.

The OP needs to put some effort into this. Don offered a while ago to post pics for the OP.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don did post pics for me in another topic/post. Some members then suggested I post binder pics to get a better understanding of what was in the collection (as a start).

I will work on taking several pics and posting those as a follow up.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/02/2022   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those photos really help because at the very least this was a fairly serious collector who did not shy away from accumulating albums. What is the "keeper" and what is the "feeder?" The Scott Internationals appear to go though at least the early 70s My advice (which other posters mentioned) would be to post the first couple pages of the United States section of the Scott International Binder 1 The US section would be near the front of the album that would start with 1847. If you see many stamps in those first few pages that is a good sign. If you find the Great Britain and Canada in the same album that would also be useful. The photos in the other thread appear to be from one of the Minkus Master albums. I like that some of the albums are in slip covers, proves that someone wanted to protect those stamps and there's no doubt those binders were "well loved" Keep snapping those photos! Lots of fun to see a stack of albums. We would all like to see that at a garage sale :)
Edited by landoquakes - 06/02/2022 9:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8499 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Those photos really help because at the very least this was a fairly serious collector who did not shy away from accumulating albums.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Where are you located? Perhaps someone here is close - or someone knows a good dealer near you.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Located on Long Island
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Same, Rog. Same.
Learn More...
United States
10623 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   09:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Images from Dbrite111, these are small but I think they are good enough for folks to understand the scope of the collection.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4003 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   10:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So far, I am not seeing anything exciting. A good, basic collection, but resale value (if I were buying) would be minimal. There may be a diamond in the rough in there somewhere, but it would be well hidden / accidental.

Even though there seems to be mistrust of some dealers, I would haul it all off to a local shop and ask for their opinion. Then take it to one more for good luck. Take the best deal you get. Good luck.
Valued Member
121 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of the ones who thought photos of the binders would be useful, so thanks--and indeed I think these photos are very useful. It actually looks very similar to my collection. As another user mentioned, the key is to find "keepers" and "feeders". My guess is most of those albums (judging by duplicate labels etc) were feeders, albums purchased with the intention to remove most of the content. And "keepers" the main albums where everything went into. Possibly they are two Scott Internationals in dust covers w/o labels (those are exactly the keepers in my collection). My guess is there handful of keeper albums with much more/better contents than the rest. But no guarantee, it is possible it was never organized and more of an accumulation of old albums in which case anything can be anywhere.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful! Gives me a much better understanding of this. I will be searching this weekend to see if there is a "keeper" set of albums. Anything I should be looking for that might be a tell tale sign that it's a keeper album ?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that the "keepers" content, having presumably been built up from that of some number of "feeders", should have a somewhat more complete look than any of the "feeders".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
613 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To piggy back on JLLebbert's comment, in addition to the "keeper" album(s) having more complete content, the "feeder" album(s) are likely to show places where there were stamps mounted in the past, but which are now vacant, except for a hinge or mount mark.

Those " feeders" which have been depleted to a greater or lesser degree, should be easy to spot quickly. There will be signs that they have been picked over already. Set them to one side and then the album(s) that show no apparent evidence they were picked over -- those will be your leading candidates for the "real" collection.

To judge from the first photos, you have lots of material to look at, but do have fun while you are doing this, unraveling a bit of puzzle. Keep us posted.
Edited by jleb1979 - 06/03/2022 3:15 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,454Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05