Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

As Requested - Pics Of The Collection I Inherited

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,448Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Those photos really help because at the very least this was a fairly serious collector who did not shy away from accumulating albums." I probably should add in a bit more context. After seeing many Topics on Inheriting collections, with maybe a kid-collected mishmash, it's fun to see one like this that has a bit of a mystery. In order to accumulate 20+ binders of SI, along with that odd assortment of albums. Europa? Looks like some auction wins/stamp store purchases/show shopping was done with the potential. Agree with other posters to not be afraid of a stamp store if you can find one. I don't see anything that really stands out on the page photos. If the 5 cent Canada Beaver stamp was sound, nice perforations, no thins, etc that's a pretty nice stamp. Were there any albums for just US stamps? Anyone with 30+ albums lying around should have at least one US album. Look for a Blue Liberty or one with a Green Binder The more photos the better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5958 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dbrite ----Thanks for letting us know your on Long Island . I would refer you to Champion Stamp Co. on w. 54th st. N.Y. N.Y. for a apprisal/ offer for your collection .
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much, I will reach out to them!
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let us know how it goes!
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Think I might have found two keeper books, any of these interesting?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8464 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dbrite - Thank you for sharing the images. You may be right in assuming that you have found the primary collection albums. The quantity is there but the quality is not. Nor are there any "wow" stamps. I very much doubt that Champion will make an offer, but your overall accumulation would be ideal for a Rasdale or Kelleher collections/large lot auction. There is little that could be pulled for dealer inventory, but eBay sellers and other WW collectors would compete for this material to either sell or treasure hunt/pick through. Of course, there is still the possibility that better items are lurking, but it seems less and less likely IMO.

PS: One thing I noticed was that a lot of stamps have multiple copies hinged over each other likely for varieties or cancellation interest. Itr bears further inspection. Don't expect a dealer to take much time in doing the inspection.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thank you for your guidance. There are another dozen or so books in storage I will be picking up tomorrow. If there seems to ne another interesting book, I'll post more pics
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If a Penny Black does not have wow factor then what does? At. least that looks like one to me in photo 10. Always condition concerns of course. A large range there! The early Belgium looks like a lot of fun. Agree that it would do well in an auction. The best stuff so far is in the Scott International Part 1 (the second half of the scans. No US in that album? Very strange with that many stamps for those other countries. Would like to see the keeper US section. Should be right in the front of the album.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5958 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the scans , as said earlier . Take it in and someone needs to look at it . I would want to know the plate numbers on the early British and have a better look at those Hermes Heads in the Greece section . Like to see some of those early Germany . There is most likely some other better stuff you haven't scan yet .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8464 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If a Penny Black does not have wow factor then what does?

The problem is condition. The Penny Black is cut in on at least three sides and many stamps have corners and perfs missing. I am not seeing a "wow" factor. Being honest here since it does a disservice to say things in order to not offend or to be polite. This is, based upon what has been shown thus far, a well filled budget collection, missing higher dollar stamps and settling for faulty older classics. It is what it is.

I will move on and let others engage in unwarranted hyperbole.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1719 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live on LI as well (SE Nassau). Most of the dealers here will charge for the evaluation and/or offer Pennie's. Champion would at least be honest.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dbrite111,

Nice collection even if its sale will not pay off your mortgage

Consider the heritage of the collection and its connection to family or friends who have past closing these albums. They provided hours of pleasure to them. They left you more that empty cigarette packs and beer cans to enjoy.

Hopefully future generations will get to enjoy and add to them.

Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very true, I appreciate your thoughts. Ultimately if the collection does not have much value, I would keep it because of the points you made
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you in any case for giving us something to debate about and some fun photos to look at. That Scott international part 1 looks like a great start to a 1840-1940 collection. Hope you join in!
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dbrite111 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I've enjoyed as well. Great group here on this forum, very helpful and Patient. I can see why he had such a passion for this hobby. Thank all!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,448Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05