Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Error Untouched By Human Hand !

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 542Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   06:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wilding mad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have heard of stamps with missing colours, this is one I found in a kiloware lot some years ago, it was so obvious that I could not miss it when comparing it to the normal printed stamp

It is thought to have been created by exposing the stamp to the ultraviolet rays of the sun.

Here are the same stamps but more close up!

Do you have any similar examples ? WM

Send note to Staff
Edited by Wilding mad - 06/05/2022 06:58 am

Learn More...
United States
11234 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   07:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a page of color changelings https://stampsmarter.org/learning/A...gelings.html

Note US stamp at top of page, done by SCF member John Becker using sunlight; very similar to your stamp.
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Don for the list of changelings as per the link, I especially like the introductory image showing what the sun's rays can do.

The lesson to be learnt is, do not exhibit or leave your stamps in sunlight. WM.
Pillar Of The Community
4770 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That reminds me ... I should check on several other stamps I have in the window as light-fading experiments.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a matter of interest John, how long did it take for the sun to bleach the affected section of the yellow ladies slipper stamp ? WM.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8447 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen 1941 series wine stamps which were literally bleached white. They were probably in a store window.
Pillar Of The Community
4770 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not have easy access to the lady's slipper stamp at the moment. It would have dates written on the back side. Regardless, the answer is around 6 months or more. there is a thread on it here too somewhere, but that is completely unscientific as to the season, amount of sun each day, etc. It was not done under a specific protocol to know illumination wavelengths, intensity and time. Like a Ronco product, I "set it and forget it" until a new thread comes along to remind me. It could have been mostly faded out somewhat sooner. Bottom line, it is easy to have a letter sitting on a desk in the window or stuffed on the dashboard of a car. Note the red end of the spectrum always is always the one "missing".
Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi revcollector reference your comment.

Quote:
I have seen 1941 series wine stamps which were literally bleached white.

Just to clarify the situation I presume you mean this stamp that is wine coloured >

WM.
Valued Member
Canada
203 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that what Revcollector is talking about is this series of stamp.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks mirman for the clarification, I thought he was talking about postage stamps of 1941.

Living in the UK I am not familiar with wine stamps. WM.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1376 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/05/2022 3:43 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
337 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd cut down on the N2O if I was you No1.
Edited by Wilding mad - 06/05/2022 4:27 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 542Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05