Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1917 Washington 3 Cent Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 400Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kas7777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, this stamp should be lilac in colour but the one I have is a brown/purple colour. Would anyone have any information on this as I can't find anything for this colour variant. Thanks

I have tried to upload a scanned image but it says it is too large so won't let me. I would like some advise from admin regarding this as every time I put a picture on I'm told the quality is not good enough, but when I try to put a high resolution scanned picture on it says it's too big?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4003 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A tutorial is written here https://stampsmarter.org/Learning/SCF/help1.html on how to better scan, upload stamps.

You probably have a color changeling. You can do a search on this forum for multiple postings on "Changeling".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10623 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   6:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can learn more about color changelings here
https://stampsmarter.org/learning/A...gelings.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
every time I put a picture on I'm told the quality is not good enough, but when I try to put a high resolution scanned picture on it says it's too big?

Sounds about right. Best I can suggest is put an image up to meet the 300 KB limit. Then if certain details are needed just run a close up of the area in question.

One thing to look out for is when saving the image it may save bigger than shown in the image optimizer. That can be handled by unsaving the image, changing the image quality from 70 to a lower number then changing it back to 70, click save image and then the down load arrow.That should keep the size consistent with what shows in the optimizer.

A second trick to get an image to fit by size is to save and download, then click the Click to open file picker or drag and drop images here button go to your downloads and select the image you just created which ends as "-scfopt" and repeat the optimization. The most I needed to re-optimize is twice producing and image name ending "-scfopt-scfopt-scfopt"

Of course this is only a suggestion and you were given the link to the image FAQs and process in a post above.

That all said, the image quality for your OP photo does not need to be top quality as you are showing a color, not image fine detail.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 06/06/2022   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kas7777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy thank you so much, managed to get it on now.

***Fixed Image - Mod***
Learn More...
United States
10623 Posts
Posted 06/06/2022   4:33 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a color changeling as mentioned in post above.
Don
Valued Member
United Kingdom
9 Posts
Posted 06/06/2022   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kas7777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don thank you but when I go on the site as detailed above it shows the colour changeling as being blue, not brown/purple. Thanks
Learn More...
United States
10623 Posts
Posted 06/06/2022   5:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I wrote in my article

Quote:
Finding something different or unusual always catches the attention of a stamp collector. Stamps which are a strikingly different color of have a color which appears to be missing often jumps off the page and sends collectors into catalogs to see if it is a known variety. There are three primary ways these stamps can occur; true printing errors, light exposure, and/or chemical exposure.

Unfortunately the majority of the time these stamps are actually 'color changelings'. Color changelings are stamps which have had a change in the color due to environmental conditions and/or light exposure. This change may have been accidental or even an intentional attempt to deceive...

The stamps which are shown are just a few examples and is not meant to be a comprehensive catalog of color changelings.

Your stamp has been damaged by environmental conditions.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 400Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05