Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Auction House (H.r. Harmer) Preparing To Leave Stamp Auction Network?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 630Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5468 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   10:56 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received in email from H.R. Harmer:

Quote:
For the first time live bidding will be available directly through our website for our June auctions. We are very excited to present this option in addition to offering live bidding through StampAuctionNetwork.

While they don't explicitly say they are leaving SAN, it is another auction house offering their own inhouse auction platform ala Siegel.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   7:50 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having 2 live online platforms running at the same time will certainly add complexity (and time delays) to the auction process.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/12/2022   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely it is a test to see how many of their S.A.N. users are going to switch over .

They are testing to see how many new bidders will find their own site . My guess is most S.A.N. people will stay where they are .

I will be surprise if they get many new bidders coming in, into their in house system .Using S.A.N. to build a solid book of active bidders
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Brad905 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the CAPEX show last week and SAN had a booth there, where I got to meet Tom and Dan.

I currently have a FREE MEMBERSHIP with SAN, but I asked them to show me what I would get if I had a yearly paid subscription.

I can see that having data from auctions going back over 16 years can be a very powerful tool. I saw how one American auction house had sold the same 24-Cent 1869 Declaration of Independence stamp 5 times. Being used, it is pretty easy to see it is the same stamp. They declare it is sold to the book, but in fact it never met their minimum. They offered it 5 times in 2 years.

Lots of other interesting information can be gleaned from their database; information that I imagine auction houses probably would prefer was not available to their customers/bidders. I would also assume that they have no love for the "Unattended Live" option either.

The cost of setting up your own site could be as high as $20K, and then you need a team of people ensuring that it is working at its optimum capability.

Not sure which of the two issues would be considered of primary concern to the auction houses.
Edited by Brad905 - 06/13/2022 11:06 am
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   11:49 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Controlling your own destiny makes it a 'no brainer' in my opinion. Imagine you and your family spend 20 years building up your auction business and then decide to sell it. The delta in the value of the business would be significant between having your own intellectual property/database and having your company tied to the future of a third-party company (whom you have no control over).

If I were an auction house, I would see being able to hold auctions as a core competency of the business. So unless someone believes that the internet is going away, why would an auction company not invest doing online auctions? I think that those auction houses which are not heading in the direction of having internal online auction capability are the 'legacy' companies who are fearful or who do not have much vision.
Don
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   12:23 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$20k would be a very small drop in the bucket to setup your own (unless done in house by an amateur).
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 630Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05