Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan Empress Jingu New Values Help

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 756Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floortrader, thank you for the very nice image. This is the Y5 value of the "Old High Values" with the empress Jingu with Taisho wmk on granite paper. The unwatermarked issue is on white paper. It also occurs with a "Shina" overprint listed in Japan Offices in China (these are pricey). You can see that, in addition to the bells, it has the chrysanthemum crest signifying the emperor (which was eliminated in all post WWII stamps), and cherry blossoms (which often signify the fleeting transientness of corporal life).
BTW, for the New High Values with Taisho wmk on granite paper, the mint stamps are listed with different prices for those with gum arabic (A) versus dextrose gum (D) in the catalog images I posted yesterday.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found and just now purchased this Scott #254, of 1937; the seller's image...

The "Taisho emperor" did not quite make it to a 15th year of his reign, 14 years and 5 months rather, therefore I believe this to be a #254, and postmarked during the 15th year of the reign of the "Showa" emperor, November 18, 1940, if I'm correct.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/21/2022 7:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you StampGuy64. The paper looks like white paper (not granite), which corresponds to the issue in Showa 12 (1937)
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dandow. I just got in what was supposed to be the 1908 Jingu 5y & 10y set, but it's that of 1914 actually, the 5y at least.. Still, the 5y is a much better copy than the one I had posted previously.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   07:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the stamp advertised as Japan, Scott #254 is indeed that...

1937, 10y dull violet, and postmarked on November 18, 1940...

Also, the paper is non-granite, ordinary...

I was able to just tease out the watermark. It isn't prominent at all...

It's a shame that the cancellation obscured the portraiture to that extent, but it is what it is. If only it had been stamped a little over towards the right.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dandow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes stampguy. the Showa wmk is often hard to see even with wmk fluid or a nice light table....
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had the stamp under water, against a glossy-black background, which did the trick.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/10/2022   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got round to processing the scans...

The 5y green benefitted most.

The watermark of 10y is a bit difficult to see...

I didn't notice this until I processed the scans: within the ribbons and flowers at the top of both, surrounding the chrysanthemums, the ribbons form the numerals of the values...

Not a bad buy at all.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 756Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05