Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Finished Filling 31,000 Spaces - A 27 Year Journey!

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,591Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An impressive achievement and using mounts on Minkus pages is no small feat! I would leave it as-is too. I have not heard of anyone completing one of those. I'm working with Big Blue and a Minkus Supreme Global and I understand the temptation to cannibalize one for the other. I'd have a better chance filling (well kind of close to filling) the Big Blue but the Minkus is more fun and has more stamps to find. Interesting that a one volume Comprehensive needs to become 4 volumes to hold 31,000 stamps. My suggestion would be to find a 1959 supplement that would cover mid-58 to mid 59 (assuming that your album ends in mid-58. Or a 1960 Supplement....
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About 6 months ago, as I knew I was getting near the end of this phase, I did buy a Scott Specialized album for France (goes to 1958) and started working on that (transferring from the Minkus and then filling in other holes). Have always loved French stamp design and engraving.

Another country I may focus on next is Mexico. I find their designs interesting. Other countries I enjoy are Australia and New Zealand.

I'll keep this intact for now. I still spend lots of time leafing through it with a magnifier marveling at the engravings and subjects. It really does take me back to my days when I first started collecting about 50 years ago. The nostalgia factor for me is pretty high.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1086 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   11:37 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canyoneer, WOW!
Congratulations! I've been in the process of breaking down one of these from a box lot, and although the Global and Supreme Global may be better known, this was still a nice, comprehensive album, and such a great accomplishment to complete it!

Nice pictures also-- Great Job!
Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
677 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since the album ends in 1958, perhaps pick up Scott international volume 4 that covers 1960-1965 IiRc. Add some blank pages to fill gap between 1958 and 1960. That way can continue the chase without spending a huge fortune (most issues of that era fairly inexpensive)
APS #173088
Edited by DJCMHOH - 06/15/2022 11:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
781 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be aware that both Mexico and New Zealand are going to be a bit of a challenge... Some will be much more difficult to find than the one you were missing from the other album. Australia only has a couple of really tough ones and France is similar. You will find on both of those the sticking point will likely be cost, not availability.
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   04:23 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What an amazing accomplishment - congratulations!

I guess the first thing I would do (before doing anything else) is make sure I have a nice image of every single page of the album...

I would then probably want to slowly expand it to subsequent years.

John
Valued Member
21 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add InforaPenny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulation! The most important thing is that you enjoy looking at it... after all, what good are stamps if you don't enjoy looking at them.

If you're trying to figure out what to do next, you might consider adding facing pages for a few favorite countries where you can mount some blocks, items of piece, etc. For an example, look at the thread "Collecting the World" (scroll down to the 2nd page below).

Best Regards,

InforaPenny
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stupendous truly. If you ever get the time, maybe could you post more pictures of the filled pages?
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Incredible accomplishment.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
618 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to see more filled pages too :) which page was the most difficult?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6040 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought someone else would of wrote about this accomplisement ,but didn't .

It is not about mounting 31,000 all different stamps in a worldwide album ,that you can find at any of the major auctions,matter of fact ,I got 2 or 3 Scott Internationals sets in storage that have more stamp . The thing that impress me and others is three fold here .

First reaching his goal that he set out to do .

second ,is his organization and lay out which is better than most collectors .

Third , is the searching and finding then buying the needed stamps ,that is what takes a lot of time .It is not easy on lower value stamps because no dealers cares to carry them .
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I had that kind of discipline.. I get distracted too easily!
Valued Member
China
305 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A kindred spirit. I get extreme satisfaction by filling every page in an album and I completely understand the inclination to do so. Great job!
Valued Member
389 Posts
Posted 08/14/2022   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all - thought I'd show a few pages showing the tough spaces that I eventually filled. From the US Possessions thru Estonia Binder:

Two from Puerto Rico that were particularly stubborn. #13 (1st stamp on page) and #79 (3rd row, 5th to right). Got #13 in May 2022, (the final missing spot for the whole album) from someone in Spain. Filling the #79 spot involved a little cheating. It is a 1 mil emerald - I could never find an actual one but did find an imperf proof single for $5 on eBay.

On the following page there is one I'm still searching for. It is Belgian Congo # 235 - a cheap stamp but try to find one that isn't part of a full set. I have a used one but would like a mint one ("brother can you spare a mint one?"). Have tried Hipstamp, Stamps2Go, etc. Lots of used ones out there but nada for mint.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,591Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05