Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

David Feldman Auctioning Lallier Album 1869 Edition Intact 150,000 Pounds Estimate

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,630Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8517 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Quite the filled with rarities little album. Bidding as I write this is at 130,000 Pounds.

Lot 51592:

https://www.davidfeldman.com/dfsa-a...ategory=6143
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if other people feel the same but I often marvel at older collections like this and wonder at what point in time the collecting was at its most avid, how many collectors owned it and built on it, how much of it was bought during any one stamps period of issue (as in did the owner go to the post office, have friends abroad, the like). I didn't see any kind of write up in the description, maybe I missed something, but still fun to ponder
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2084 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looking forward to seeing if David posts a video to his YT channel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
890 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   10:21 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow ! The only thing that makes my skin crawl is the possibility that the new owner might take this philatelic masterpiece apart...
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 06/14/2022   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It'll probably be a dealer who will take it to one show as a collection then decide he'd be better off making money by taking it apart. The heathens…
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8517 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many stamps that you never see like the "cotton reels". Simply amazing. The romantic side of me hopes beyond hope that it stays intact but the pragmatist believes that it will be broken up.

Just an incredible snapshot of what collecting was back in the beginning. Did they have an inkling of how special some of the stamps would one day become?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5976 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At that price it will be unusual that someone would want to park away some 150,000 pounds into a album . Most likely a few dealers are going to scan the pictures and start to figure out what it can be resold for .My thinking is that it will be taken apart by a smaller auction firm .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very, very, very few collections are purchased to keep intact and build upon. This one is no different even if it is selling for a high end price. Perhaps some tech industry individual will buy it with the intent to add to it.

While a romantic old relic, one just possesses stamps as a the caretaker until they move onward to the next caretaker or caretakers. Here due to the unusual item it is, a full pictorial or video of all pages filed in a philatelic library would be a worthy undertaking in my opinion.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8004 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guaranteed to be broken up, unless a museum buys it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2986 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many smaller auctions have L150k plus the juice available?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5976 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EYEONWALL ----Bankers will extent a short term line of credit ,naturally they will have a professional look at it before they ok it, cost to the bank maybe $100.00 to $200.00 for a review .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2862 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's almost a given that this will be taken apart.

As for a small auction house buying it, it makes sense, but they're going to need somebody's personal collateral. I don't expect smaller auction houses to have it themselves. I'd put up the house for the loan after inspection, if I had a house.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8004 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are dealers and collectors who have the funds, and who might help an auction house that they know well for a percentage or a few choice items. Such things have happened before.
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add landoquakes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can almost see Ferrari lifting an eyebrow at this one. I was hoping to see a page of early US too, maybe I missed it. I did see the private US stamps. The certificates probably make quite a pile too. I also wonder how on earth did this album stay intact for this long. What's the latest stamp in this thing?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8004 Posts
Posted 06/15/2022   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No way to know how many of those locals are genuine. Reprints and forgeries go way back, not to defraud anyone in those days, but to fill album spaces for items that were already scarce or rare. Filling every space was how people collected at the time.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Realized EUR 210,000.

Too bad there isn't the Vintage Reproductions equivalent of a Lallier album! Filling it wouldn't be cheap, but I wouldn't mind putting together one with reprints, if only for the 'look'...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,630Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05