Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

David Feldman Auctioning Lallier Album 1869 Edition Intact 150,000 Pounds Estimate

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,617Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Final price in Euros with tip is 256,200 or 271,000 US dollars. Wow.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5468 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I wonder if this is a case where the whole really is worth more than the sum of its parts. I mean, were this to be broken down, how much profit is there really to be made?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1647 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Too bad there isn't the Vintage Reproductions equivalent of a Lallier album!

These pop up now and then. In 2018 I sold an 1863 copy that was in nice condition for $610, of course the stamps were more modest.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's just too much,,, I mean, guys, seriously? I love stamps and hold them dear, but $250,000… c'mon
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   7:41 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
floor - getting such a loan from a bank is far from easy (they would be clueless whether the proposed purchase would be worth the amount or not). Rev had a more likely avenue (a wealthy dealer or collector).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could actually see Mystic purchasing something such as this album. They have done it before with Siegel with great fanfare.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2857 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now a Vintage Reproductions-style album would be just the thing. I was thinking not only using it for reprints but forgeries, too. Time to check out the album page programs. Or maybe do it virtually.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/16/2022   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eyeonwall ------ Most business have the approval already establish , it would take about one hour to put those funds into a checking account to then wire funds to David Feldman ,it could all be done by noon tomorrow .

Somebody seen something I didn't see in that album . I discounted out the revenue stamps ,then discounted out the cut squares . All the locals ,private delivery and State stamps I fiqured as reprints or forgeries . That doesn't leave too much catalog from what I see for a price of $250,000.

Remember Kelleher had a $600,000 collection that realized under $100,000 so at 1/6 of catalog ,you got to have a serious value in that David Feldman lot .......I couldn't see that kind of price ,remember forgeries and defects need to be counted in .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just the stamps specifically called-out in the written lot description catalog at over $600,000. The cotton reels and other similar stamps are rarely seen. Siegel has sold three cotton reels for a total of $45,000 and they were not the rarer one in the lot description. A very rough calculation without obviously doing an in-person review showed a cv in excess of $1,000,000. Likely looking at at least double that. Somebody (several people actually) saw the value as well and so it went from 130,000 Pounds when I first saw the lot to double that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well , who can buy that album ? The only person that I know is Stanley J. Richmond buying it for Kelleher .He is the only one that can sit down in a few hours and expertise it to his satisfaction .It would be him or Vince Green of Sandfrayre .maybe one of the German auction houses too.

A few items should bring close to full catalog and some a fraction so maybe the value was there in what is not in the scans on the web pages .
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   04:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I could see Noble Spirit buying it and I can't wait to see the lot descriptions. LOL
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floor - I'm not saying it can't be done, but banks don't understand the stamps and they don't like auctions hacing long stretches between auctions with no income, so setting up the initial pre-approval is a pain and not always successful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People who buy at that level don't need banks . The auction house knows who can handle it and who they can trust thru past experience . Each firm establishs their own limits for a new buyer or reduce limits to those who had problems in past auctions .

If I was going to bid above a certain level then I would call the auction firms office manager and clear it with them or offer to pay $60.00 so they can run a recent credit report . I have heard of some of the horror stories about stamp auction firms have had with buyers ,from Greg Manning Auctions , Richard Drews Auctions, Regency Stamps and two or three others.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   11:12 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floor - I'm confused. We were previously talking about whether a smaller auction house might buy it and whether they had the juice for it or could get a loan for it and now you have switched to the kind of people who would normally make a big purchase (yes, the process you describe is exactly what happens).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5959 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EYEONWALL -----OK understood .............My answer is a smaller house would not buy it ,because they don't have the international base of buyers to buy a lot of these expensive items in the albums . Collectors who are buying the thousand dollar items are not scanning thru all these small auction firms various auctions .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,617Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05