Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Safely Shipping Stamp Sheets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 458Next Topic  
Valued Member

408 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased several modern stamp sheets from a seller who placed all the sheets between corrugated cardboard, taped on each side then into a large envelope. The packaging seemed very sturdy and rugged, but couple of the sheets arrived creased on the edges and they were not that way in the picture on the listing, so it's a mystery how some became creased. Seller was a professional and resolved the matter promptly.

How do you all ship sheets so they don't get creased?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most "swaps" I make and receive, are similar.
Cardboard or best available.
Most stamps are used.

From my dealer, I get "MARGA CIPTA" board (2mm)
tough, and strong as. You could probably run over it in a truck.
Price I have no idea.

Sheesh! I just realised after Googling, this is acrylic plastic
sandwiched between paper.
I thought it was hard pressed paper.

Question remains, would you have paid the extra cost, and shipping
if this material was used?

Note this is quarter inch, not 2mm
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 06/17/2022 9:45 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/77161 br /

I echo "The artful hinger"
Depending on what they're selling, sellers can sometimes be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Good packaging costs money - both for the packaging itself as well as the extra postage cost it incurs. That's not a problem in and of itself, but too many buyers balk at paying more than a minimal shipping fee, so sellers will often opt for the cheaper option and hope for the best,
Edited by rod222 - 06/17/2022 9:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1344 Posts
Posted 06/17/2022   11:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with just putting the sheets between the cardboard is that they usually will move. If the package is dropped on edge the cardbaord will ding along with the sheets which will automatically move to that side because of the sudden G force.
Best method is to put them in a strong envelope, not glassine alone ; that is very close to the same size as sheets so they will not move when sealed.. Then tape it well to one side of cardboard or old sign board made of corrigated plastic which is at least 1 " larger than the item envelope all around the sides. Then put the same material on other side making the envelope the center of the biscuit and insert in the addressed snug envelope that will limit movement. Make sure to mark "do not bend- photos inside" and pray for a safe delivery. That is the best you can do.
Edit: aside from using on one side a sheet of acrylic or lexan as Rod mentions with added weight and cost.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/17/2022 11:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1647 Posts
Posted 06/18/2022   08:24 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We sell stamps on pages and we packed them as you described but in spite of "Do not Bend" warnings we were having trouble with the Mailmen bending the envelopes to fit in mailboxes. Our solution was to use 12"X12"1/2" LP record boxes for our shipments. These boxes cost over $1 each but we feel it's worth it to get our stamps delivered safely.

Ken

United States
1 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bluto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken said:
"...Our solution was to use 12"X12"1/2" LP record boxes for our shipments..."

Nice. Where do you get these boxes from Ken?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1647 Posts
Posted 07/05/2022   10:39 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy them on eBay.

See;

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ss...dmd=2&_oac=1

Sorry for the delay in answering your question, I missed your post.

Ken
Valued Member
408 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the USPS should ship stamp sheets in a more protected manner as well. In my last few orders from them, stamps arrived in a poly mailer and the cardboard the stamps were packaged in got bent. No big deal and thankfully the sheets themselves were okay, but I think they should mail stamps in Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes like they have done in the past for stamp orders.

If they continue to mail a several sheet order in a poly mailer, I wonder if adding a few 20c sheets to the order would provide any significant protection for the other sheets?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 458Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05