Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Souvenir Card Color Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 206Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 06/18/2022   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Cataloging Committee of the Souvenir Card Collectors Society has gone around and around on this topic, so I thought I'd go public and see what other collectors have to say. Over the years a number of cards have been identified with distinct color varieties. These are not occasional errors that might have been caused by over- or under-inking, but something that occurred on a significant number of cards. I'm going to provide comparative scans, without going into details about how these varieties may have occurred.

First, B-1 (Sandipex) and B-3 (Fresno), both printed in 1969. I'm grouping these together because, apart from the differences in text on the cards, the three City of Washington vignettes are identical and were almost certainly printed at the same time, with the text for each show added later. There is a pink and no-pink variety for each of these cards.

The color difference on PS-8 (Nat. Postal Forum '72) is more subtle, but compared side by side, there is a light blue and dark blue variety.

Two varieties of green appear on B-68, the Compex 84 card. There are two distinct colors here, when closely compared – a forest green and a lime green.

Lastly, on B-250, the 2000 card of the Bureau's savings bond series, two signatures of U.S. Treasurer Mary Ellen Withrow appear: a smaller official signature in brown along the bottom, and a larger autograph above it. The larger signature can be found in both blue and black.

Scott lists all but the last souvenir card, as SC5, NSC2, SC23, and SC94. If Scott gives individual catalog numbers to color varieties on stamps, would that go for cards, as well? And if so, how would one go about presenting this and to whom?

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 06/18/2022 6:33 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
607 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest you go to the top. Jay Bigalke is editor-in-chief of Scott. It's not a big operation anyway.

Tactically, if I were you, I think I would lead with your B-1 (Sandipex) and B-3 (Fresno) as those seem a bit more striking in terms of persuasive evidence to persuade him to spend time and devote column inches. Then if you get a foot in the door with color varieties on cards, go in later with the PS-8 and B-68.

Hope this helps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1427 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good suggestion -- thank you! We'll see if I have any clout as the editor of the Souvenir Card Journal. #128522;
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 206Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05