Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Stamps Pass Postal Scrutiny

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,164Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted on here a couple of months ago a photo of a postcard I received from the Netherlands. No stamp, just a string of letters and numbers written in the upper right corner in lieu of a stamp.

A couple of countries have this system now: go on your phone or computer, pay for postage, write the code, drop in the post box.

I was watching Wayne Youngblood's recent presentation on forgeries on CWP and I have to agree with him; I do worry that the extent of the problem (I didn't realize it was hundreds of millions in lost revenue annually) will hasten the demise of the postage stamp.

The non-collector is just not sophisticated enough to spot fakes (and the new ones will trip up even most collectors, I'd wager), and if people think they can save a few bucks on postage after being bombarded by semi-professional looking ads from "US Postal Service" on Facebook for discount Forever stamps, they'll do just that.

At some point, USPS will just have to decide what's more important: revenue integrity or the postage stamp as a going medium to show prepayment. Hopefully we won't have to choose between the two, and maybe we won't - but I'm just not confident enough in USPS' ability to stay enough ahead of the crooks.

I'd be curious to see how the UK and other countries are dealing with this problem, too...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see how they can really fight any of it. Even in the UK, putting QR codes on the stamps, that doesn't stop people from faking the QR codes. It won't go through the mails but by then, the scammer already has their money and doesn't care. If the goal is to defraud the postal service, they're just going to start to forge older stamps before whatever security procedures were in place. The only way the USPS can get around that is to demonetize every stamp ever issued.

That would be a complete mess.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8290 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be a complete mess.

...and perhaps the goal of China.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted Yesterday   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add green machine to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw an ad on www.msn.com that is advertising US stamps @ 50% discount. Assuming a scam, I did a Google search on the vendor web address (Uspsfaststamps) and it is considered to be untrustworthy.

My question is, how would a person send an alert to MSN.com?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1575 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be useless because MSN doesn't control the placement of those ads. Like all large websites, MSN offers digital ad space to multiple demand-side platforms. Brands or publishers bid for placement through the DSP, which picks the highest bidder and redirects the ad unit on MSN to the winning bidder's ad. MSN has no way to know or control what ad ultimately is placed outside of broad policy constraints on the DSPs and the likelihood that MSN would communicate with all its DSPs to convince them to block this advertiser is unlikely.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,164Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05