Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Stamps Pass Postal Scrutiny

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 3,278Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted on here a couple of months ago a photo of a postcard I received from the Netherlands. No stamp, just a string of letters and numbers written in the upper right corner in lieu of a stamp.

A couple of countries have this system now: go on your phone or computer, pay for postage, write the code, drop in the post box.

I was watching Wayne Youngblood's recent presentation on forgeries on CWP and I have to agree with him; I do worry that the extent of the problem (I didn't realize it was hundreds of millions in lost revenue annually) will hasten the demise of the postage stamp.

The non-collector is just not sophisticated enough to spot fakes (and the new ones will trip up even most collectors, I'd wager), and if people think they can save a few bucks on postage after being bombarded by semi-professional looking ads from "US Postal Service" on Facebook for discount Forever stamps, they'll do just that.

At some point, USPS will just have to decide what's more important: revenue integrity or the postage stamp as a going medium to show prepayment. Hopefully we won't have to choose between the two, and maybe we won't - but I'm just not confident enough in USPS' ability to stay enough ahead of the crooks.

I'd be curious to see how the UK and other countries are dealing with this problem, too...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see how they can really fight any of it. Even in the UK, putting QR codes on the stamps, that doesn't stop people from faking the QR codes. It won't go through the mails but by then, the scammer already has their money and doesn't care. If the goal is to defraud the postal service, they're just going to start to forge older stamps before whatever security procedures were in place. The only way the USPS can get around that is to demonetize every stamp ever issued.

That would be a complete mess.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That would be a complete mess.

...and perhaps the goal of China.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add green machine to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw an ad on www.msn.com that is advertising US stamps @ 50% discount. Assuming a scam, I did a Google search on the vendor web address (Uspsfaststamps) and it is considered to be untrustworthy.

My question is, how would a person send an alert to MSN.com?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1586 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be useless because MSN doesn't control the placement of those ads. Like all large websites, MSN offers digital ad space to multiple demand-side platforms. Brands or publishers bid for placement through the DSP, which picks the highest bidder and redirects the ad unit on MSN to the winning bidder's ad. MSN has no way to know or control what ad ultimately is placed outside of broad policy constraints on the DSPs and the likelihood that MSN would communicate with all its DSPs to convince them to block this advertiser is unlikely.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
80 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add serf_tide to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well...my communication to Senators Mark Warner & Tim Kaine (Virginia) got a response from both. Tim Kaine's response was that he thanked me for being a good citizen and communicating about issues in the Commonwealth with no actual acknowledgment that I had said something about the Post Office. Here is the response from Senator Mark Warner:

------------------------------------
Dear Dr. Moore,

Following you will find the response from the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to my inquiry on your behalf. I appreciate the opportunity to look into this matter for you.

USPS states: "This is in response to Service Request 40220051 on behalf of your constituent Mr. Kevin Moore.

After investigation and consultation with the United States Postal Inspection Service, the congressional inquiry has been addressed.

Please inform your constituent that his request has been transferred to the Mgr. Postal Inspector, and the individual will contact him for additional information and to provide an adequate resolution. Also, please inform Dr. Moore that the United States Postal Inspection Service is aware of the counterfeit postage schemes and are working closely with Customs and Border Protection as an effort to cease fraudulent operations and confiscate the postage.

Additionally, with assistance from our representatives employed at various USPS Processing & Distribution Centers and local Post Offices, we are eagerly confiscating fraudulent postage stamps, as it is recognized in our mail stream.

Once again, please allow us to apologize for the unfortunate experience.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond."

My staff and I stand ready to be of assistance to you in any other matter that is of concern to you. Thank you.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now there is this:

Quote:
A free roll of stamps showing up in your mailbox might seem more like a gift than junkóbut it's one you shouldn't accept. In early May, the Sioux City Police Department (SCPD) in Sioux City, Iowa, took to its Facebook page to alert residents about such a scenario, warning that they had received a report of a person who had gotten postage stamps delivered in the mail that they did not order. According to the SCPD, these stamps had been mailed from China and were counterfeit.

https://bestlifeonline.com/counterf...s-mail-news/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam - interesting bit! So.... it actually is NOT about profit. At least some of it. And I can imagine no other reason to give away counterfeit stamps other than to upset the finances of the USPS. Oh, those tricky Chinese! Up to their old communist tricks again.
Learn More...
United States
10622 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did the 'free roll' also contain a link or order form to purchase more?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A free roll of stamps showing up in your mailbox might seem more like a gift than junkóbut it's one you shouldn't accept. In early May, the Sioux City Police Department (SCPD) in Sioux City, Iowa, took to its Facebook page to alert residents about such a scenario, warning that they had received a report of a person who had gotten postage stamps delivered in the mail that they did not order. According to the SCPD, these stamps had been mailed from China and were counterfeit.

I don't trust reports that quote an unknown person saying they heard someone....

Too many possible alternative explanations. EG: someone else in the household ordered them and won't fess up. Maybe the cop misunderstood the complaint.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since China is "giving away" Fentanyl by the bucketful in every manner of pill and powder imaginable I do not find it to be a stretch that they are "giving away" counterfeit stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1326 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's unfortunate that the stamp industry has gone the self-adhesive route. Otherwise the Chinese could combine their efforts and market lick-and-stick counterfeit stamps with fentanyl-laced gum.
Learn More...
United States
10622 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or a gum with a modified bat virus.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 07/07/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't trust reports that quote an unknown person saying they heard someone....

Too many possible alternative explanations. EG: someone else in the household ordered them and won't fess up. Maybe the cop misunderstood the complaint.

Attitudes such as that is why it an easy life for scammers....

The term for this underhanded practice is "Brushing Scam."

https://www.uspis.gov/news/scam-art...rushing-scam

https://www.newsweek.com/seeds-myst...scam-1522999

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/23/busi...g/index.html

https://www.wral.com/got-a-package-...am/19487274/

https://bestlifeonline.com/unordered-package-news/

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/l...c1c48d9bdcd8

I will stop there. If you think they are all fake news more will not likely change your mind.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
682 Posts
Posted 07/09/2022   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The term for this underhanded practice is "Brushing Scam."

Yep, and the news article cited mentioned none of this. Instead, they just left people with a scary feeling that they were being ripped off, with no information about what was actually going on..
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 3,278Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05