Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Stamps In Blocks Of 4+ Mint And Vfu

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,150Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just having some fun now. Going back to my Canadian roots.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 06/22/2022 9:15 pm
Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
What I have is everything like these and these same many times. They are exceedingly common and I think that everything has already been said about them, only from Franco 2 pesetas 1,145,000,000 were issued.
I remember that I gave the last one to a deceased colleague (heart attack) who also did marcophilia, he was from Peñarrubia, a town in Malaga that was left under a swamp in the early 70's.
Regards.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As you have already said Roberto, these are common stamps to be found, do you have any blocks of commemoratives or pictorial ones?

Sometimes people collect blocks because they show the cylinder number that they were printed from as with this next pic. >

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1150 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In one of my main areas of interest - Middle East - collecting blocks of 4 is a common format for collectors. Some of the reasons may be to see watermarks and their orientation more clearly (some designs are spread over 4 stamps), to show overprint variations or errors more clearly, without the expense of buying a full sheet, or to acquire a stamp or set of stamps in a format that clearly does not come from a booklet strip.

E.G. Watermark identification:

E.G. Error identification (yes, it is a strip not a block, in this case):

Second stamp down has "crack in wall" error.

It may also be that the stamps are sold as sheetlets of four.

E.G. Saudi Arabia:

Note that the country emblem - crossed swords and palm-tree - is missing from the lower left stamp, and, yes, they are not identical stamps by virtue of the background variations.

Collectors wishing to have selvedge inscription or imprint details may find that collecting blocks of four is an economical way to do this.

E.G. Saudi Arabia, various phrases encouraging the public to use the post-code, clearly address the mail item etc:

To show examples of sheet stamps, rather than booklet stamps which were printed in se-tenant strips.

E.G. U.A.E.:

Edited by Outremer01 - 06/23/2022 2:09 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the crack in the wall shown on the strip of 4 Outremer01, I find it easier for checking watermarks using selvedge examples.

In giving an error ID, it is usually common practise to present the stamp in question shown within the block to give a comparison.

Variety "staff of Pennant on bow almost missing"

Here I have indicated the variety by using an orange arrow to point out where it lies within the block.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
514 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A dozen from my worldwide block collection...

Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35545 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus,
Nice marginal Crown Agents Watermark with Antigua!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Linus,
A nice bunch of blocks, I noticed that one of them involved a traffic light block from Aussie, this is also another good reason for collecting blocks when wanting to exhibit traffic light gutter pairs found within the sheets format.

Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I also have about a hundred B4s from the Vatican. All are intended for separation since they are exchanged / sold in unitary pieces.
Regards.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more reason for collecting stamps in blocks is when you discover a doctor blade flaw on a particular sheet. >

These printing errors look much better when seen in block format rather than singles.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
610 Posts
Posted 06/24/2022   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not collect blocks ordinarily, but I will to make some particular point in my album. For instance, to illustrate different papers used in printing.

So, looking at the US Sc. 369 on bluish paper.
I obtained a decent single, but to a non-collector like my wife, it just doesn't stand out when on the same page with the 367 or 368. My enthusiasm for the acquisition was not matched.

Fast forward two years.
I'm in an online auction after some other things, but while I'm waiting, up comes a plate block of the 369 with selvage. So I jumped in and quickly got it. After that I just bought an inexpensive plate block of the 368 imperf in the same orientation and juxtaposed the two in my album to illustrate what bluish paper is all about. Now my wife sees the difference.

I have done something similar in my French collection with a plate no. strip of Fr. 159c on GC paper to illustrate the difference in papers.

But here are the blocks of 368 and 369 on the page:

Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a nice little story jieb1979,
I'm glad to know that your better half is now in the picture, so to speak.

The things you've got to do! WM
Edited by Wilding mad - 06/25/2022 12:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
610 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wilding.
I wanted to get her on board with my quest after other of the US bluish paper issues (Sc. 357-366). I can assure you I am NOT getting blocks of those!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/25/2022   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently purchased in a job lot these 2 blocks of 4 from the Tokelau Islands that apparently had been cancelled on the 8th of November 1966, I purchased the lot purely on the basis that the two blocks had first day cancellations. >

These stamps was the last of the £ S D issues as they were replaced on the 4th of September 1967 with decimal issues, during their 11 month existence three different printings were made therefore I am confident that these stamps come from the first printing.

The third printing was released on the 20th of March 1967.

Can any kiwi fans tell me the date of the second printing as it appears to be rather elusive.

Here is what I think are the first and third printings of the 8d value in pairs, the latter being a much darker shade. >

Thanks, WM.

Edited by Wilding mad - 06/25/2022 9:55 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
179 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wilding mad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is some background information on these Tokelau overprints as supplied by the general secretary of the New Zealand society of Great Britain, Michael Wilkinson, with extracts from volume 5 of the postage stamps of New Zealand by the RPSNZ, it makes interesting reading for anybody interested in these stamps. >

Now that's what I call an interesting story. WM
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,150Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05