Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1890 Clinton To Franklin Ohio Cover - Franking Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
10631 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   3:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have this 1890 Clinton to Franklin Ohio cover and was wondering about the franking. (Note: I think the pencil ID on the cover is wrong, it is not a #187 but rather is a #209.) The cover does not appear to have contained anything heavy, it does not appear to be a registered cover, nothing on back of cover.
Any feedback is much appreciated.
Don

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

I can't help much but I think that says Akron Ohio which is in Summit Co. and not Franklin OH.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4435 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's registered. The registry number is this part:

This is before the early 20th century regulation of backstamping the flaps and using mute cancels on front.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8004 Posts
Posted 06/21/2022   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

It is my understanding that showing the "Reg. Pkg." number on a cover was NOT required but often done especially at third and fourth class post offices. I do not find them showing up on first class post offices very often. John, do you agree?
Edited by hoosierboy - 06/22/2022 10:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
4435 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A quick review of the 1879 and 1887 PL&R volume notes the mail piece is to be numbered. It is silent with regard to including the package number, thus neither required nor prohibited. I have seen mail with both numbers, but have never tried to draw any conclusions. I see no difference in the registration laws among the classes of post offices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
539 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning John and all,

I do not find anyplace mention of placing the RPE number on the cover itself either. Thanks for confirming I am not missing some other obscure instruction.

The smaller post offices usually had very few registrations on a given day. They did not send multiple registered items out in a single registered package envelope very often. Also the same clerk or PM who accepted the item for registration filled out the rest of the needed paperwork including the RPE before the item left the post office. Some of this paperwork [ledger book documenting registered letters passing through the p.o.] did require both the item and RPE number.

Nice example, Don. Very few small post offices back stamped incoming registered letters until after 1900. It became mandatory January 1, 1911 with all postmarks moving to the back side of the cover. Still, I have several examples without back stamp after the mandatory date.
Edited by hoosierboy - 06/23/2022 09:15 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05