Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

End Of A Roll Or Large Margins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 474Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
92 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just for fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this one recently. Could someone tell me if it was from a sheet with large margins or otherwise?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6687 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   1:45 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These margins with an attractive design on the edging are typical of engraved French-produced stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks GeoffHa!

Could you share some photos to show how the whole sheet looks like (with margins on all sides)?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6687 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I'm afraid not, but here's an example from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19508165...293946777986
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is understood to have margin of the size of one stamp, as shown on the eBay example provided by GeoffHa, but why have double margin (the size of two pieces of stamps)?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36272 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indicates the difference with a "sheet" and a "pane"
see the double selvedge on left right hand side of this pane.

https://www.linns.com/news/postal-u...iature-.html

One of the most misunderstood and misused terms in stamp collecting is "sheet of stamps."

In common parlance, what collectors and noncollectors alike often refer to as a sheet of stamps is in fact a pane of stamps.

The sheet is the complete printing unit of stamps as it comes off the press, either as a sheet or part of a long roll called a web.

Sheets usually comprise two to 12 (or more) panes. Panes are the units into which sheets are divided before delivery to the post office for sale. Many recent United States commemorative stamps, for example, have been produced in 240 stamp sheets that were divided into 12 panes of 20 stamps each.

The U.S. Postal Service (and its predecessor the U.S. Post Office Department) have occasionally sold full uncut sheets of stamps to the public. A sheet of 180 1997 U.S. 32 Classic Movie Monsters stamps (Scott 3168-72) is shown in Figure 1. Notice that there are nine panes of 20 stamps each in the sheet.
Edited by rod222 - 06/22/2022 3:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8791 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The philatelic term for the non-stamp interstitial space between stamps or panes is "gutter".

Example:
Edited by rogdcam - 06/22/2022 3:57 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36272 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suggestion,
you may wish to take possession of this book
Gets 10 stars from me
Stamp collecting 101 , 200 pages of Philatelic general knowledge

I still use it regularly
Buy wisely, I paid $1 for mine, have seen it at $42
eBay I think $4

Edited by rod222 - 06/22/2022 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2904 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printing presses print up to a maximum size and paper comes in limited sizes. So depending on design sizes, only a certain number of individual stamps can be printed on one sheet (that can be further cut up into panes). Any large blank spaces are filled with a design to prevent someone like the printers from being tempted to use blank spaces to print extras to sell for themselves. And yes, the blank sheets are supposed to be accounted for. That basket weave design is typical, found on the bottom margins of sheets or panes of stamps of France and the French Community.

Here, it was decided not to use the maximum possible available space on the sheet. Maybe since it was a high value stamp at the time, the number of stamps in a sheet or pane were kept relatively small. Maybe also the count or value on the sheet/or pane was a nice round number making for easier accounting when auditing postal clerks' stocks.

Note that the perforator, a separate machine, was set up to handle a sheet/pane with more stamps and was not changed for this particular airmail stamp. There was no reason to change it.
Edited by hy-brasil - 06/22/2022 6:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! I have learned a lot.
Ordered the Stamp Collector's Handbook from Amazon with deliver date between June 25 to July 15.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36272 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bravo!
hope you enjoy it.
A little out of date in a few areas, but still great reading.
Interestingly does not answer you original query here.
Just gives single "gutter" image
PS: mine was soft cover for $1, hardcover may show the increase.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 06/23/2022   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the heads-up Rod. I've ordered a 1964 copy of the book.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The book arrived. It appeared to have the original price-sticker, and petrified, which I promptly removed...

The cover is not quite as colourful as subsequent printings, with shades of red, greys, and black.

It's 192 pages long; a lot of information. Thanks again for making merry mention of it.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36272 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

As an Aussie, it was nice to read the US perspectives.
Best philatelic information for your dollar.

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05